Taking my body pillow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking my body pillow

Hi, I'm Beth and new here. I am really hoping someone can help me. I camp 1 to 2 times a month with my sons scout troop and generally love it. My main problem is cold weather camping. I use a full size body pillow (thats does fit in my sleeping bag just fine) because of my back, however the pillow gets really cold and that in turn makes me cold. I have tried hand warmers, sleeping on pads, sleeping on cots, sleeping on padded cots, nothing I do is working to keep my pillow from getting cold. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than not using the pillow?
    Thank you
    Beth

Re: Taking my body pillow

Hi Beth - welcome to the forums.

Can you sew a cover for it from the flexible silver tarps? Then, your body heat will reflect back.

BTW, I use a body pillow next to me against the wall in my travel trailer since the wall gets so cold. I use a fleece body pillow cover from Walmart. The pillow doesn't get cold - to me, anyway.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

My first thought is that the pillow is pulling heat from your body. You need to cover it with something that will reflect the heat back into your body - actad's suggestion of the reflective blanket or maybe a down or down alternative blanket.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Unfortunately, sewing a cover for your pillow from a silver tarp, or a down blanket, won't make it reflect heat, that only works if you get INSIDE the tarp when it's sewn like a sack. Pillows are multi-cellular and only conduct heat very slowly, much like the self-inflating sleeping pad you should be sleeping on to keep warm. Good sleep means retaining heat, you're not going to be doing any reflecting. An upgrade of your sleeping bag to a quality goose down model appropriate for your climate from Sierra Designs, Marmot, A16, REI, EMS, NorthFace, Mountain HardWear, or one of these quality manufacturers along with a ThermaRest or MegaMat sleeping pad will work wonders, and you can keep your pillow.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

thank you very much for the suggestions. As for my gear I have pretty good stuff, I have a Sierra Designs sleeping bag (the Zissou 23) and sleep on a 2.5 inch self-inflating foam pad (REI). I thought what I have should keep me warm

Comment

Working...
          X