New to camping - Looking to buy a starter tent for 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to camping - Looking to buy a starter tent for 2

Hello, this is my first post here. I've been researching about tents and I've came across this forum, seems like a lovely community.

Anyway, me and my husband are looking to go camping next week for few days but we don't own a tent yet. We are totally new to it but we always wanted to go into the nature and be alone for some days. I was was looking around the net to buy a tent for 2 and I found this one which i really liked:

click here

Now i don't know if the price is okay for the feature it has. I like the description and look but i guess thats not everything.

Open to suggestions and thanks in advance, Manuela

Re: New to camping - Looking to buy a starter tent for 2

Not sure what the particulars of your camping needs are but I like to double the recommended interior of an advertised size. A two person tent WILL fit two people, but I like to have adequate maneuverability and space to be able to store the soft goods and hard goods I'd need throughout the trip. In less that ideal weather conditions, I'd rather spend it in a comfortable tent than in the seat of a car. A little breathing room would make it more enjoyable.

Enjoy the quest,
    elliot

Comment

For an inexpensive tent, I like the Meramacs - I own the 4 person model. The Meramac 2 is 5 feet wide and might not be all that comfortable for two people, especially if bad weather keeps you inside for hours. Like michelliot said - I would recommend bumping up to at least the 3 person tent so you have some room to move and/or store some stuff. Just over $10 more on Amazon gets you another foot in width. http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine.../dp/B00J53X6K4.

About $20 more gets you into a veritable palace. 7' 6" width and a lot more headroom.
      http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine.../dp/B004SKCKY2

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        For an inexpensive tent, I like the Meramacs - I own the 4 person model. The Meramac 2 is 5 feet wide and might not be all that comfortable for two people, especially if bad weather keeps you inside for hours. Like michelliot said - I would recommend bumping up to at least the 3 person tent so you have some room to move and/or store some stuff. Just over $10 more on Amazon gets you another foot in width. http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine.../dp/B00J53X6K4.

About $20 more gets you into a veritable palace. 7' 6" width and a lot more headroom.
        http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine.../dp/B004SKCKY2
        Agree. Alps produces decently designed tents with many high-end features at a value price. I would also look a 3P or a 4P tent if you can afford it and if tent weight and packed size is not an issue for you (assuming you're car camping and not having to carry the tent very far). A 2P tent really won't be "comfortable" for two (you can do it, but it's tight and requires each of you to use pads 20-25 inches across-standard backpacking sleeping pad size). Also, there really won't be much floor space left for other "stuff", duffles, etc...generally only a bit at the head or foot area depending on the tent length.
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-18-2015, 05:57 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X