A different kind of tent question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different kind of tent question.

I was wondering if anyone here has a tent they don't like. It seems people often ask for advise on what tent to get, but surely some of us must have bought gear that really disappointed us.

Re: A different kind of tent question.

I forget which model it was, but I returned a Marmot tent because of how the rainfly fit. The top wasn't tight at all, pretty wrinkled actually.
    I didn't own it, but I passed on buying the REI Basecamp 6 when I noticed the back door didn't have a screen. That seemed pretty foolish to me. Two doors are nice, but so is cross ventilation in warmer weather.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Macgyver. I think it's helpful to know about the things that have disappointed others, as well as items that we may recommend.

Comment

I don't think I have ever regretted buying a tent. There are some things I wish I could change about some tents though.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Definately avoid one with holes,avoid one without waterproof.
          Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

Tents that I have disliked;
            Here in the mountains tents with excessive venting/non-closeable screened areas are way too cold. Other than a bit of rain protection they give little shelter (depending on altitude snow is not uncommon in June).

The same goes for tents with hood scoop style rainflies (although the vents underneath can often be closed restricted, which is what I do); if the vents are not restricted, the least little breeze makes the interior just as cold as outside.

Tents without a waterproof floor; they are miserable to live with in very damp times...

Waterproof tents; tend to have condensation problems (a nice breathable, yet wind proof, tent material is very water resistant and can avoid most condensation issues).

Tents that are too small; its really nice to not have to sleep on a diagonal and even better to be able to stand fully upright occasionally. On long base camp set ups (when using the 12x12) its nice to be have enough room to invite friends over for social time during bad weather.
            ... that said the 12x12 only gets used for week long or longer stays because of the effort needed to set it up and break it down.

Tents that are too complex; a friend's cousin showed up one time with some kind of tent palace that included several rooms and a shower area; it was funny to watch them struggle but eventually (after 3 or more hours) it took like 8 people to set it up (mostly) and he still remembers the frustration...

Tents are a lot like the story of the 3 bears; best if just right...I select; depending on the trip between 3 (4 if you count the backpacking tarp) to get the best fit.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

My disappointment in tent purchases have all been from tents bought used. Always there was some major flaw not disclosed by the seller or not noticed at time of purchase.

I no longer buy used tents.

Comment

my disappointment is with Kodiak flexbow
                I spent 1 night in it
                after 6 months i cut out flooring of what was left and it is now the roof on my shelter
                canvas is cheaper than store bought painters canvas
                within 3 months canvas started to rot,
                within 6 months rotted to point where it disintegrated in your hands
                for comparison i have painters drop cloth at same location left out in same elements,
                2 years later painters drop cloth has mildew stains but 90% of it is still solid and useable
                $30 worth of dropcloth is still holding up
                while $300 Kodiak tent only thing left is flooring , zippers, and some hardware

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                  my disappointment is with Kodiak flexbow
                  That surprises me. It's a bit unfair comparing tent canvas to a drop cloth that meant to be walked on, but I would think if your tent was really only months old and falling apart the people at Kodiak would have liked to know about it and maybe even made it right. Did you contact them before you took the tent apart?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    That surprises me. It's a bit unfair comparing tent canvas to a drop cloth that meant to be walked on, but I would think if your tent was really only months old and falling apart the people at Kodiak would have liked to know about it and maybe even made it right. Did you contact them before you took the tent apart?
                    I didnt contact kodiak
                    Figured how i was using it wasnt exactly how it was intended to be used
                    But even with my useage didnt expect it to disintegrate so quickly
                    I did speak to some reenactots who use traditional canvas tents
                    Conclusion we came to was the design of the flexbow weakened it
                    Flexbow canvas is stretched tight when up
                    That stretches the fibres opening up the weave , which is not good for extended period of time and even worse when wet
                    Other canvas i had was just draped over, not stretched

Comment

Working...
                    X