Combining Two Bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining Two Bags?

Want to camp with my dog this weekend in the Los Padres forest north of Santa Barbara CA where mountain night lows should reach around 20° F. Never camped in cold weather.

Gear:

1 -Teton Sports Mammoth Queen Size sleeping bag 20° bag. SuperLoft Elite 4-channel hollow fiber insulation for loft and warmth. I like it. I wouldn't risk taking it down to it's rating without some kind of liner at the least.

2- Tenton XXL 0° bag. But when it arrived, it seem very thin. I've read mixed reviews on it but mostly positive. The tag says arrived at facility in 2011, so I'm wondering if it being rolled up for 5 at years has made it lose some of its loft. Don't know I want to risk it

3 - REI 3.5 inch self inflating pad. R Value 6.0

4- Two Closed cell foam pads

5- Some old smart wool top and bottom lightweight. and a wool beanie,socks and balaclava mask and gloves.

6 - Warm wattle bottle.

7- 4 person kelty tent with half fly (I worry about this one) so its a pretty cold tent I imagine.

What would happen if I fit the 0 degree inside the giant 20 degree bag? Thanks for any help you can throw at me.

Re: Combining Two Bags?

I combine bags all the time - especially in extreme weather. I think you can get better performance out of two thinner bags than you can with one heavier bag.

You already know that the comfort rating of a bag means discomfort and misery at the "minimum temperature" advertised.

Two smaller bags is often easier to pack than one big bulky bag. Of course, if you are car camping - who cares; bring three or four bags if you like.

Sleeping bag designs have become much more efficient per pound by design as well as by fill material. Frankly, I have not been that impressed with any of the new fill materials in the past two or three decades. The biggest improvements to sleeping bag efficiency has been with the bag designs with better body contouring, shoulder cuffs, and other baffled areas and better designed head cover areas. So, it is possible to get a bag that weighs less, but is warmer than a heavier bag.

Anyway to return to the OP's question, yes, a bag inside a bag is workable. It works best when the zippers for both bags are on the same side. It is also better when the outer bag is bigger than the inside bag (assuming that both bags are big enough for the camper).

Comment

Just got back from my trip and it worked out pretty good. First night i wasn't cold, but wasn't warm either. Second night I felt a bit warmer with the 0 degree bag just draped over the 20 degree bag as opposed to being in the 0 degree bag inside the 20 degree bag. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep playing around with the combo, but at 19 degrees it worked out pretty well!

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      I combine bags all the time - especially in extreme weather. I think you can get better performance out of two thinner bags than you can with one heavier bag.

You already know that the comfort rating of a bag means discomfort and misery at the "minimum temperature" advertised.

Two smaller bags is often easier to pack than one big bulky bag. Of course, if you are car camping - who cares; bring three or four bags if you like.

Sleeping bag designs have become much more efficient per pound by design as well as by fill material. Frankly, I have not been that impressed with any of the new fill materials in the past two or three decades. The biggest improvements to sleeping bag efficiency has been with the bag designs with better body contouring, shoulder cuffs, and other baffled areas and better designed head cover areas. So, it is possible to get a bag that weighs less, but is warmer than a heavier bag.

Anyway to return to the OP's question, yes, a bag inside a bag is workable. It works best when the zippers for both bags are on the same side. It is also better when the outer bag is bigger than the inside bag (assuming that both bags are big enough for the camper).

Comment

I also layer bags (or a bag and blanket or a poncho&bag&poncho liner etc.).
        I find that a lightweight fleece liner in a mid weight (rated 15 to 30 deg.) bag is often a good compromise (we often wake to frost on the tent in the mountains in summertime).

I expect that your best results will be found with some experimentation; In summer- warm temps I bring many layers but only use what is necessary. I bring the same layers in the winter and often use most (reserving the poncho for very cold nights; have to dry the bag and layers the next day).

I tend to have cold feet and have found that sleeping with a stocking cap on is essential, and a rug/blanket/coat over the foot end of the cot, is often useful.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-01-2015, 10:14 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
        X