Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Tent Camp

Hello fellas;

I've tent camped a few times in the below freezing temperatures, but the campgrounds were open year round like this one: https://www.campendium.com/baker-dam-recreation-area
    The number of camps I've looked up in Colorado have open season dates. Is it ok to tent camp there outside those dates? Any websites where only year round campgrounds can be browsed?
    Happy New Year everybody!
    Colin

Re: Winter Tent Camp

Moat in Colorado are closed during the winter. Where are you located at?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Will be driving to Denver area from the southern California with few camp stops along the way, some probably in Colorado. Once at the destination, a campground near hot springs would be ideal so I could jump in there to take a bath or to warm up those old bones of mine.

Comment

I can't help either; we don't frequent that type of place.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by colincobre View Post
          Will be driving to Denver area from the southern California with few camp stops along the way, some probably in Colorado. Once at the destination, a campground near hot springs would be ideal so I could jump in there to take a bath or to warm up those old bones of mine.
          Chalk Creek Campground near Buena Vista might be on your route; hot springs very close.
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
            Chalk Creek Campground near Buena Vista might be on your route; hot springs very close.
            Looks nice, but the website says open March 1 - November 1

Comment

Look for National Forests in your area. They typically have some drive-up primitive campsites. IF they are accessible in winter (ie not snow locked), then you can camp at those sites.

If you are snow camping, that takes on a different dimension. What kind of camping do you do If you are in a fifth wheel or camper you can probably stay in the parking lots of cross country ski areas. IF you tent. then you can park your car and sled your camping gear a few hundred yards (or farther if you like) into the woods and camp.

Comment

I'd be staying at KOA facilities where there are hot showers and unlocked gates. NFS campgrounds don't offer much except pit toilets. Just sayin'...
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...7d1de2102b9aa2

There is some pay as you go near Sugarloaf Mountain. You can see the Hot Springs on that link as well
                  JohnJohn
                  ---------
                  Forum Admin

Comment

If you don't need any real facilities, you can likely camp in National Forest. Not in formal campgrounds, but just out in the forest. Some have restrictions about that, but the vast majority I've had experience with had none.

You don't need to sled your stuff out anywhere if you don't want to, I've mostly camped by my vehicle, just explored around and found a nice spot, often with a fire ring from previous use.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                      If you don't need any real facilities, you can likely camp in National Forest. Not in formal campgrounds, but just out in the forest. Some have restrictions about that, but the vast majority I've had experience with had none.

You don't need to sled your stuff out anywhere if you don't want to, I've mostly camped by my vehicle, just explored around and found a nice spot, often with a fire ring from previous use.

That's mostly what we do although the Idjuts seem to be trashing a lot of the good/moderately accessible places.

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

^^ Yeah, sadly, many of my old favorite places have gotten trashed by the party people.

Comment

Working...
                        X