Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What large tent might be good for emergencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What large tent might be good for emergencies?

For me, I consider my clipper my "emergency preparedness". I keep it stocked with canned goods, pet food, etc. I always have at least 1/3 tank of fresh water in it and one fuel tank filled. I have "clipper clothes" that stay in the rig, including cold weather gear. If there is a disaster, I can have the few things I need (medications, laptop, external hard drives, cell phone/wifi dongle, purse, and medications) in less than 5 minutes and be on the road. Where I live, I am more concerned with flood/storm/fire damage than earthquake damage, so I'd most likely have enough time to get out. It will get me out of the area and provide me with shelter and basic needs.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Good plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
        There was a very good story of a guy that survived Katrina, and things he learned. I looked for it but couldn't find it. A few things he mentioned were taking clear digital pictures of all family pictures, artwork, expensive possessions, your HOUSE, vehicles, important papers of ALL sorts, including insurance papers and bank records, pay records from work, vehicle titles etc), because in many cases, if you couldnt PROVE you owned something, including your house, insurance wouldn't pay. The devastation was so complete that banks records, and insurance records were destroyed. In other words, you couldn't assume anything would work in your favor, and couldnt assume there would be ANY other proof your things existed, period. He made a record of everything important and made several copies on zip drives, one he kept with him at ALL times, one he sent to friends or relatives somewhere far away, and another kept in another safe place like a safe deposit box (keep in mind a safe deposit box may not exist after a bad disaster, so have more than the one copy "safely" stored there). They need to be updated periodically. He and his family ended up in Texas, and he ended up not being able to PROVE he had ever worked anywhere, had any education, bank accounts, or property whatsoever. It caused problems for many people.

... on an encrypted thumbnail drive in the bag and securely stored backup drives...
        Might send one to Iowa now though... thanks.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-09-2016, 09:30 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          ... on an encrypted thumbnail drive in the bag and securely stored backup drives...
          Might send one to Iowa now though... thanks.

Enjoy!

I may have used the wrong term, I meant the tiny thumb drive, USB flash drive, or whatever, that can fit on a keychain. I've heard them called zip drives, but I guess theres an actual "zip drive" that isn't at all the same.

I actually just bought a couple 32 gb drives at walmart ($7 ea) today, and saw some that were REALLY small, about half the size of most I've seen, and held 32 or 64 gb.

Comment

The thumb drives are great, but be careful with the really small ones... They are REALLY REALLY easy to misplace or lose.

A couple years ago, I put together my living trust. Because I had concern over who would be in charge of my decisions if I were incapacitated, I established all that. At the same time, I put together a list of all my accounts (bank, online, etc.) with user ID, password, account number, etc. My chosen POA (medical) and POA (everything else) both have a copy of all that. So, even if I lose that stuff, I still have access to it. The big thing is to remember to update it regularly for them.

For me, the biggest concern are the animals. Years ago, my Mom took in a bunch of cats who had their homes destroyed in the Oakland, CA fires. Their owners were able to find places to stay, while they got back on their feet, but their pets couldn't go with them. That was one of the big factors in getting my clipper - I don't have to beg the kindness of others to take in my animals if I lose my home, temporarily or permanently.

A fellow clipper owner was at a weekend festival in the mountains this past summer when the Butte Fire hit. During the festival, they evacuated the area where he lived. He hadn't thought about that before, but he sure does now. Since he was already camping, he had enough supplies to hold him through, but he realized keeping the clipper stocked made a lot of sense.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

...Yep! thumbnail, USB, zip drives; all the same same. I usually get brand name (in terms of memory manufacturers) thumbnail drives from Newegg if they happen to have them on sale and I am sending in an order for something else.

Speaking of computer stuff, this UPS just started complaining (triple beeps) that it needs a new battery... so its times for some battery pricing... (I'll connect it to the 35 AH camping battery until the replacement arrives).

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The military tents are ugly, expensive, heavy, and look like a major pain to set up.

Just buy an RV, that way you could just jump in and drive.

My emergency plan involves staying right where I am and defending my property. I'm not going anywhere. I have everything I need right here, including privacy.

Comment

Im fortunate tgat my Family has a lot of land in the Northwoods. We have our 'hunting cabin' out in the middle of the woods...its set up w solar, generator & batteries. We also have a well and a Dandy lil outhouse...I actually live in it when I visit. We keep it stocked at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                    My emergency plan involves staying right where I am and defending my property. I'm not going anywhere. I have everything I need right here, including privacy.
                    While this may work for the man-made chaos, it won't work for natural disasters. You can't defend your property from a major flood, fire, tsunami, hurricane, tornado, or earthquake. In those cases, it is best to get out as soon as possible. For earthquakes, there is no real warning, but for the others, you have time to get what's important and get out. The worst thing you can do is wait until someone else has to risk their life to come to your rescue. And the sooner you get out, the easier it will be to find another place to stay, get there, get any missing supplies, etc.

Comment

Staying put and riding out disasters for many can be a reasonable plan (although it is somewhat disaster/location dependent).
                      Folks should evaluate the likely hood of disasters and plan accordingly, IMO.

For me;
                      Zombies - zero chance (other than those living? in the local community)
                      Tsunami - zero chance
                      Hurricane -zero chance
                      Asteroid impact - extremely small but significant chance
                      Super volcano eruption- extremely small but significant chance
                      Large earthquake; extremely small but significant chance.
                      CME(coronal mass ejection) from the sun - extremely small but significant chance
                      Terrorist incident - small chance
                      Social unrest - small chance
                      Tornado - small chance
                      Flood - small chance
                      Blizzard dropping in excess of a foot; moderate chance (its about due)... evacuation is unlikely because roads locally will be impassible.
                      Wild fire - moderate chance.
                      Your chances of any of these occurring will likely be different from mine. (I selected my present location based in part on the chances of major disasters).

... accordingly my primary plan is to stay at home; but to keep the camping supplies staged in the garage; ready to load, in case it becomes necessary to evacuate for a time.

Enjoy!

(Edit) Getting back to the OP;
                      If required to evacuate I figure on bringing both the 9x9 dome (quicker easier to setup and breakdown and the 12 x12 Alaknak (outfitter quality, much more substantial) tents. along with assorted tarps for use as canopies, and ground cloths.

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I realize that this was asking about tents, but a travel trailer makes more sense for me than a tent.

I live in a flood plain, and have had the local river running through my living room on one occasion. My issue was that the river rose on one side of me at the same time as the protected wetland on the other. Having a travel trailer is the best option for me, as it can be preloaded and then moved to higher ground as a place for us to stay.

Having a travel trailer has also been beneficial during extended power outages. We shut down the house and just live in the travel trailer with the generator powering the TT and the house upright freezer and house fridge.

We are drier and safer than in a tent. The trailer has a 3 mattresses , a table, an indoor propane powered stove & furnace, and a bathroom. It is not a fancy one with slide outs or multiple TV's, but a fairly simple unit that keeps us out of the elements.
                        Last edited by actad; 01-13-2016, 07:58 PM.
                        - Laura
                        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
                        X