Tarp questions for camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarp questions for camping

I have read on this site where hanging a tarp properly will protect any tent from the rain, mainly from MacGyver. When using a tarp do you have to use any specific type or will a cheap tarp work? Also how far out over the tent should it go? If I had a 10 x 10 tent would I need a 15 x 15 tarp to go over the tent. I've been looking at you tube to learn all the knots and procedure so I can get that down. My second tarp question is, I've read that you want a tarp smaller than your tent when using as a foot print for the tent to protect the floor while camping so as to not collect water under the tent. How much smaller should the foot print be and what tarp type old be best to use. We have for the last few times used tarps over the tent and area to protect from rain and weather but I'm not sure if I've been doing it correctly, also used tarp for foot print but I've always used a lot bigger tarp than the tent.

Re: Tarp questions for camping

The size tarp to choose for over your tent depends on how much protection you think you'll need and how you hang it. Rain accompanied by high wind can be an issue no matter what size you use. As far as quality, a cheap tarp will work but most likely won't last. Cheap tarps are made of thin material and have cheap grommets that rip easily. Keep in mind that a tarp strung up by a few grommets puts a lot of stress on those few points. The larger the tarp, the more the stress. Add wind and/or rain and you've got even more stress. That's why I use multiple tieouts with a bungee cord on each one. The thinner material, along with the typical dark colors (blue, green or brown) makes them more prone to UV degradation. A tarp in a lighter color helps to slow down the UV issue because they reflect sunlight rather than absorb it. Personally, I like gray tarps because I think they're the best balance of a light color and one that doesn't stand out like white, blue or green tarps do. As far as how to hang it, there really are no set rules. For me it was trial and error over the course of a lot of years until I came across the way that works best for me and my setups. I've had more than a few spastic moments, running around in the rain, in the middle of the night, because my roof was collecting water and threatening to collapse.

Anyway... On my 10x10, I usually use a 16x20 or an 18x24, depending on how many people are in my group and whether or not I have room at the site where we happen to be camping. I center the tent from side to side and set back enough to give me additional footage out in front so we have a place to stay dry if it rains so we don't have to stay inside and cook in the rain. That setup works well for rain that isn't blowing in from one side. With windblown rain, I simply break out a small tarp to bungee to the side of the tent.

This is my typical setup. Sloped in the back and sloped in the front with a tiedown in the center. The extra tiedown tends to channel rain runoff along the cord, keeping the rest of the front passable without getting drenched.

For the footprint, the closer you can get to the size of your tent, the better. Anything that extends out from under the tent will funnel water under it in the event of rain and, often overlooked, will also funnel dirt and debris under it, leading to extra wear on the tent floor. Options? Use a larger tarp folded under to match the tent size or cut a tarp or heavy sheet of plastic to size. As far as quality, I recommend getting the heaviest you can carry. Not much of an issue when car camping, but obviously, the more protection you can put under your floor, the more protection you have against punctures. For my smaller tents, I went online and bought some bulk 18 ounce vinyl tarp material and cut them to size.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      The size tarp to choose for over your tent depends on how much protection you think you'll need and how you hang it. Rain accompanied by high wind can be an issue no matter what size you use. As far as quality, a cheap tarp will work but most likely won't last. Cheap tarps are made of thin material and have cheap grommets that rip easily. Keep in mind that a tarp strung up by a few grommets puts a lot of stress on those few points. The larger the tarp, the more the stress. Add wind and/or rain and you've got even more stress. That's why I use multiple tieouts with a bungee cord on each one. The thinner material, along with the typical dark colors (blue, green or brown) makes them more prone to UV degradation. A tarp in a lighter color helps to slow down the UV issue because they reflect sunlight rather than absorb it. Personally, I like gray tarps because I think they're the best balance of a light color and one that doesn't stand out like white, blue or green tarps do. As far as how to hang it, there really are no set rules. For me it was trial and error over the course of a lot of years until I came across the way that works best for me and my setups. I've had more than a few spastic moments, running around in the rain, in the middle of the night, because my roof was collecting water and threatening to collapse.

Anyway... On my 10x10, I usually use a 16x20 or an 18x24, depending on how many people are in my group and whether or not I have room at the site where we happen to be camping. I center the tent from side to side and set back enough to give me additional footage out in front so we have a place to stay dry if it rains so we don't have to stay inside and cook in the rain. That setup works well for rain that isn't blowing in from one side. With windblown rain, I simply break out a small tarp to bungee to the side of the tent.

This is my typical setup. Sloped in the back and sloped in the front with a tiedown in the center. The extra tiedown tends to channel rain runoff along the cord, keeping the rest of the front passable without getting drenched.

For the footprint, the closer you can get to the size of your tent, the better. Anything that extends out from under the tent will funnel water under it in the event of rain and, often overlooked, will also funnel dirt and debris under it, leading to extra wear on the tent floor. Options? Use a larger tarp folded under to match the tent size or cut a tarp or heavy sheet of plastic to size. As far as quality, I recommend getting the heaviest you can carry. Not much of an issue when car camping, but obviously, the more protection you can put under your floor, the more protection you have against punctures. For my smaller tents, I went online and bought some bulk 18 ounce vinyl tarp material and cut them to size.
      Awesome e, thanks for the help.

Comment

What type f poles you using? Make em or buy em?
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

The orange ones are REI's copy of the MSR poles. The silver ones are the Eurekas with the cam action doohickey that gives 'em infinite adjustment. I actually prefer the Eurekas, but I bought the REI poles because they breakdown small enough to fit in my Storm cases.

One of my next MacGyverings is going to be a rigid ridge pole using 3/4" galvanized pipe and Kee Klamp fittings so I don't have to depend on trees to get a line up.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 01-13-2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

For a footprint I just use Tyvek. It's very resistant to punctures.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

What mil tarp would be best under tent, and would I need waterproof tarp?

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
                What mil tarp would be best under tent, and would I need waterproof tarp?
                As always, keep in mind that I like overkill. That means I'll very often go with something extra durable so I know it'll last. When I saw how thick and rugged the floor was in my Kodiak, I immediately ordered 10 ounce vinyl fabric as ground sheets for my smaller tents. I'm very pleased with the purchase and don't expect to have to replace it for many years to come. The fabric is the same as what this tarp is made from. Having said all that, I'll just say that you should go with the heaviest thickness tarp that you're comfortable taking with you. No matter what thickness you settle on, a 10 x 10 tarp should be about perfect for under a tent because the finished size is always a few inches short on each side, which will keep it from extending beyond your footprint. And, yes, I would recommend something waterproof.
                Last edited by MacGyver; 01-19-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I usually buy a roll of plastic sheeting, either 3.5 mils or 6 mils thickness depending on what is available and tie it over my tent on top of the rainfly. It may be overkill but a rainfly seam can leak where the plastic won't. Tied properly the sheeting will conform to the rainfly and will be relatively stable in high winds. My favorite campsite has picnic tables at the tent sites so I will put a plastic tarp over the picnic table and can do all my cooking and eating under that tarp a short distance from the tent.

I have used a piece of 6 mil plastic under the tent and at that thickness it will last multiple uses. I have prepared the sheeting two ways and they both work. Sometimes I will cut the plastic about a foot larger than the tent and then fold the edges under the tent. As long as the edges stay folded under the tent it seems to channel the water under the tarp a little better but the slick plastic has a tendency to unfold which will then catch water. Sometimes I will cut the plastic 2 or 3 inches smaller than the tent but if you get a heavy rain you will get water between the ground tarp and the tent floor. The plastic sheeting is tough, especially the 6 mil, and will last multiple outings if you take care of it, but it is slick and you need to learn a few knots to secure it properly. Learn to tie a sheet bend and you can attach a rope to the corners of any sheeting.

I plan to experiment with making a fold along the edge of the plastic sheeting and installing grommets in the doubled material to see if the grommets will hold in the plastic.

Comment

Wow, with the 3/4" pipe and Klee Klamp fittings you could really get creative and build just about anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X