New to this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to this!

My tent and car are my base camp. A bicycle is a good mode of transportation when used together with the car.

I use a folding kick scooter for paved roads and a folding seatless 12" wheeled bike on paved roads & trails to get around when I have arrived at my destination.

I eat very simply -homemade jerky, trail mix, oatmeal, a bag of apples, and sun tea can last me for a week.

I intend to get a Scrubba wash and dry kit for washing clothes this year.
    Last edited by actad; 02-19-2016, 09:20 AM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I'm thinking for that kind of regional trip, a van or covered pickup would be the best option vs. a car as far as not having to set up/tear down as much and having a more safe option of sleeping overnight/leaving your gear in different cities' outskirts. Cali was a red state when I moved out here on my own at 18, and an enclosed sleeping/storage vehicle will be your best friend when you're close to urban areas nowadays.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        I'm thinking for that kind of regional trip, a van or covered pickup would be the best option vs. a car as far as not having to set up/tear down as much and having a more safe option of sleeping overnight/leaving your gear in different cities' outskirts. Cali was a red state when I moved out here on my own at 18, and an enclosed sleeping/storage vehicle will be your best friend when you're close to urban areas nowadays.
        You mean your family threw you out at a tender age?
        Sad but understandably on some levels; they prolly hoped it would make a better person of you.
        FAILLLLLLLLLLLL.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 02-19-2016, 03:46 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

It seems TP bashing is the national sport these days! (Political Rant): I would not live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia (PRK) for a pretty!
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            You mean your family threw you out at a tender age?
            Sad but understandably on some levels; they prolly hoped it would make a better person of you.
            FAILLLLLLLLLLLL.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
              It seems TP bashing is the national sport these days! (Political Rant): I would not live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia (PRK) for a pretty!
              Nope, not a sport - just fed up with his attitude and since he refuses to act like a human being, I'm going to treat him like the trash he is.

There are many places I would not live. But I certainly wouldn't live in in a state, and take advantage of all it has to offer, and spout out political hatred about it every chance I get. And I certainly wouldn't tell others to go somewhere else because I don't like it. But of course, I'm not a narcissist like TP, so I can comprehend someone wanting different than me.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Actually, I don't go on the 'net to bash anyone; this grrl just wants to have fun.
                Still if you give me an ample target on a regular basis.....ah well, I'm only human.

I will say that I have been guilty of regular TP bashing on a different site though. We virtually throw it in trees, fight to the death as to whether it should be over or under and defend Charmin. Or White Cloud. But nevah Scott's.

ETA: Thought a lil teeny itsy bitsy about this thread while out and about today and realised I left out an important reason why tplife is being chastised by some: he's acting childish in this thread.

Extends to some of his post content as well as his manner of "apologizing" from time to time.

When my kiddos (who are now alllll over 33 y/o- how did that happen?!?) talk trash interspersed with a real dialog/debate I tell em I'm too old to hash through silly arguments anymore and expect them to man up. If any of them were fortunate enough to be women ( No. Really. I DO tell them that :lmao I'd say woman up .

Bottom line?
                Find the mouth zipper, use it and don't be bothering me with sidetrack issues that still, I say still, require YOU to pay fer yer own psych care.
                I haven't got time for the pain.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 02-21-2016, 07:10 PM.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Ah so, is there a Carly Simon fan in our midst?

Comment

What is this other site you speak of? Is it more active than this one?
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'm having trouble finding active sites too.

Comment

I believe the "other site" was a joke... "TP" - toilet paper. Charmin, White Cloud, Scotts - toilet paper. ha ha.

I have searched for other true camping forums. There aren't a lot. You might find some for backpacking specific, and lots for RVing, but really not much out there for traditional camping. That's why I think it's important not to insult folks here - if people get chased away by a nasty attitude then this site will fail and there won't be any place to talk camping.

Comment

Fer sure! Also Maria Muldaur, and Joni Mitchell to name just a few of the voices in my head that jostle for equal time

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          What is this other site you speak of? Is it more active than this one?
                          It's an.....international general interest website of English speaking people (mostly women). Been posting, more or less, together for long enough to coo at a baby's birth pictures to critique the now adult's wedding attire. We talk politics on a sub forum and pride ourselves at our ability to separate that thunk from the "fluff" forum. When I start my continent wide RV trip I know I'll meet in the flesh the following: an ultra conservative nuclear plant engineer, raising her DGD with an interest in quilting; a politically moderate Texican (she named herself) struggling to meet the challenges of caring for an older husband's health in rehab or nursing home; a liberal frmr newspaper editor homegrown San Franciscan by way of LA. and the Caribbean raising 2 tweeners with help from her DH; a politically ambiguous gun toting Okie, who RVs in a 5th wheel and is of Asian and American heritage with the dual mindset and recipes to match. I could go on and on since there are 100s of us but you get the point.

Wanna be one of our "toyboys"? Send me a PM :D
                          2017:

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            I believe the "other site" was a joke... "TP" - toilet paper. Charmin, White Cloud, Scotts - toilet paper. ha ha.

I have searched for other true camping forums. There aren't a lot. You might find some for backpacking specific, and lots for RVing, but really not much out there for traditional camping. That's why I think it's important not to insult folks here - if people get chased away by a nasty attitude then this site will fail and there won't be any place to talk camping.
                            Here here!
                            2017:

Comment

k.telecky- saw this film @ rei.com and thought it might be of use to you. Yes, she's endurance ultra light race-biking but there are many techniques and equipment that can translate to any style of cycle camping:

http://www.rei.com/h/trails?h=1

HTH!
                              2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                                k.telecky- saw this film @ rei.com and thought it might be of use to you. Yes, she's endurance ultra light race-biking but there are many techniques and equipment that can translate to any style of cycle camping:

http://www.rei.com/h/trails?h=1

HTH!
                                very cool
                                has my respect
                                bike and gear weighing in at 33 lbs? dang

Comment

Working...
                                X