Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Tincloth solution( beeswax & linseed oil) bond to modern tent material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Tincloth solution( beeswax & linseed oil) bond to modern tent material?

Greetjngs All, my first post on the forum. I just bought a tan Standing Room Tent. It's a tent that fits on the frames of A 10x10 canopy frame, yet is a waterproof, wind proof camping tent. I love the tent though and think it creates an amazing space, though I want to seal the inside with something, as it off-gasses as I heat the tent with my Mr Heater big buddy. I know it will offgas less as it ages. However, I just don't trust carcinogenic chemicals and want to seal the inside with something. It seems like beeswax & linseed oil(tincloth) which was the main waterproofer before modern materials,fits the bill. I'm just curious whether it wil bond to the modern that material. Anyone have any experience or opinions on this point? Best Regards

Re: Will Tincloth solution( beeswax & linseed oil) bond to modern tent material?

Topping so others can respond.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Re: Will Tincloth solution( beeswax & linseed oil) bond to modern tent material?

What is the tent fabric made of?
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
        What is the tent fabric made of?
        Appears from the description on the mfg website that it is made of 150D polyester but the website doesn't indicate what parts (fly/walls/floor) of the tent use this material.

Standing Room Tents website: http://www.standingroomtents.com/

To the OP...I am not sure what might be applied to "seal" off the chemical smell of the fabric. Time set up will help with the off gassing process. The mfgr website doesnt list the type or thickness of the waterproofing applied to the fabric at the factory so I'm not sure what would be safe to use.

As a side note: I would check all the seams exposed to the weather and see if they are factory taped. Several of the reviewers on Amazon indicated that they had to apply seam sealer to the tent to "beef up" the weather worthiness. There are threads here on the forum on what to use and how to properly seal a tent's seams.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

it appears to be a polyester tent,
          i would be wary of waterproofing interior while it still has chemical smell, you may be trapping it instead of letting it dissipate,
          i would set up the tent, lightly water down interior, maybe with a spray bottle instead of a hose, wipe up excess water.
          let the tent air dry as long as possible,
          longer you leave tent out open, more time chemicals have to dissipate,
          in the future, if you want to waterproof exterior, silicone based waterproofing is best suited for poly tents,
          also check your poles, they probably came shipped with a coating to prevent rust,
          if they have a greasy feel to them, they are most likely coated,

also linseed oil and beeswax is more common on natural fibers like canvas, which have larger weaves,
          probably wont penetrate

Comment

I agree with TERASEC, set the tent up and leave it in the sun for a few days with some vents/windows open. The odor should dissipate with time. I don't know much about the beeswax and linseed oil but I would think that would be for a natural fiber like canvas where it would be absorbed into the material. I would think it might just lay on top of the polyester and just make a gooey mess if it didn't damage the fabric. However, if you want to try it then pick a small inconspicuous corner and apply a little of the mixture to see what happens. I am not sure the polyester itself gives off much of an odor so you may be smelling the sealer that has been applied to the fabric.

Comment

As a career chemist with some understanding of these things, those materials are incompatible and will likely result in a ruined tent. Only factory bonding will provide a good seal, and the best you can do is apply 2 coats of the appropriate comercial sealant to the exposed inside threads using a small paintbrush. Spray waterproofing will only be a temporary measure that will soon delaminate due to UV exposure with a little snowstorm and a hideous mottled dirty look.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I too have a standing room tent (haven't used it yet though; waiting for a long (4 or 5 day) weekender).
                For new tents (and vehicles) I generally let them stand open in the sun for a couple of days, to allow the most volatile plasticizers in the plastic to have a chance to at least partially dissipate; plasticizers are what keep plastic flexible; when they finally go away the plastic usually cracks. (The film that develops on the inside of car windows is in some part made up of plasticizers).
                I would expect that the easiest way to do this with a standing room tent by setting it up in the backyard without the canopy top and with all the doors open...
                Personally, I don't worry much about plasticizers in tents, if I did I would go back to old school /untreated/heavy canvas.
                I have had waterproof tents and as Kephart said back in the early 20th century, the are best avoided in favor of a tent material that can breathe.
                The weave of polyester tent material is so close that I would not expect it to need treatment to be water resistant... If my standing room tent needs more water resistance I will put up tarps or canopy walls (watch out for Tyvek and similar lightweight, thin, stiff canopy wall (wallymart) material, it is vey noisy in the slightest breeze (sounds like you are surrounded by people continuously shaking open newspapers), though, this can be reduced some by washing it, in a washing machine).

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Agreeing wth tplife: won't work.
                  Might work on a canvas tent though.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I like waterproof and breathable. Sealing the inside of the tent negates the latter.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                    X