Tent question from a newbee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent question from a newbee

I posted this in the "Backpacking" thread but haven't received any responses.

I'm new at this and obviously over thinking things.

I'll be doing some self contained bicycle touring/camping and I'd like your opinions and advice regarding a tent purchase.

I'm looking at 3-4 lb. tents and have been focusing on the REI Quarter Dome 2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. The Quarter Dome has a zipper in the tent wall that accesses the single large fly vent from the inside.

Are there other tents that have a similar feature? I have looked at a number of sites and no one mentions this in their descriptions.

Is this really important? I'll be doing spring thru fall camping. It appears that most tents (including the MSR) simply have outside access vents so, if it rains, do those tents "leak" if you don't close them? I'd hate to have to go outside at night in the rain just to close vents.

Other quick questions...There is a 5 denier (REI 15 v. MSR 20) difference between the fly's. Is this significant? The REI fly just feels very thin. I'm happy with a few more ounces for increased durability. I know that BA tents (I've looked at them too) are generally highly rated but their floors are 10 denier thinner than both of the above tents (BA 20 v. 30). I'll use a footprint or sheet of Tyvek but I'm still very durability conscious.

You're the experienced experts.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Re: Tent question from a newbee

Originally posted by makmak View Post
    I'm looking at 3-4 lb. tents and have been focusing on the REI Quarter Dome 2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. The Quarter Dome has a zipper in the tent wall that accesses the single large fly vent from the inside.

Are there other tents that have a similar feature? I have looked at a number of sites and no one mentions this in their descriptions.

Is this really important? I'll be doing spring thru fall camping. It appears that most tents (including the MSR) simply have outside access vents so, if it rains, do those tents "leak" if you don't close them? I'd hate to have to go outside at night in the rain just to close vents.

Other quick questions...There is a 5 denier (REI 15 v. MSR 20) difference between the fly's. Is this significant? The REI fly just feels very thin. I'm happy with a few more ounces for increased durability. I know that BA tents (I've looked at them too) are generally highly rated but their floors are 10 denier thinner than both of the above tents (BA 20 v. 30). I'll use a footprint or sheet of Tyvek but I'm still very durability conscious.

You're the experienced experts.

Thank you in advance for your input.
    Hi makmak and Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry I missed your first time post.

I think there are other tents that have a inner tent zip access to the stay for the fly vent...but...as you've discovered, there isn't much out there as to details.

I've never really had a problem with water leaking/blowing in through an open fly vent...especially those vents that open in a more downward pointing position like those on the MSR. The REI's fly vents are placed higher on the fly near the top and open more horizontally. In a strong wind driven rain, you'd want to have access to that more horizontal fly vent from inside....in the MSR, you can leave it open even in a strong storm. Quite a few tents have vents that are accessible from inside the vestibule.

The trade off between low denier/weight and durability is always a good question. It gets even more difficult as technology advances and produces even thinner material. I am one of those that still prefers a thicker denier fabric.

Have you looked at the Marmot Force 2P? Full weight 3.5 lbs. About the same square footage as MSR/REI, 2 fly vents, and 40D nylon floor w 2000 mm coating and the fly is 30D nylon ripstop with a silicon/PU 1800 mm coating. Fairly thicker denier fabrics while keeping the weight down. Drawbacks I see are smaller vestibules and the bright green color. Marmot website link: https://marmot.com/products/details/force-2p
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thank you a65hoosier, your detailed answer is appreciated. I'll look at the Marmot.

Comment

So, is this a vent that can be opened and closed - is that what the concern is? As one being accustomed to UL backpacking tents, that seems unnecessary. Either the tent is well ventilated or it isn't. I would especially be concerned about ventilation in inclement weather. In a double-wall tent I can't imagine that being an issue.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Yes it makes a difference!
          Denier......is how many threads are "crammed" into a small space. The more denier (of the right type of textile) the less water penetration. This article might better explain what you need and want:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...iews#bicreview

Also I've another question for you: what do you mean by self contained bike camping/touring? No auto back up or a bicycle with panniers and/or a wheeled trailer?
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-06-2016, 06:55 AM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
          X