MSR Hubba vs. Elixir Series - Help Appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSR Hubba vs. Elixir Series - Help Appreciated

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and the last thing I want to do is annoy you with yet another "Which tent should I get?" thread. So, I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I've done a TON of research on tents. It looks like MSR is a top-notch company, behind Hilleberg (I'm not paying their prices). I'm between the Hubba and Elixir series; the carbon, though light, is out due to people having issues with poles snapping, and at 6'2", 200+ pounds at 25 years old, I'm not worried about an extra pound of savings.

I've seen a lot of people recommend the Hubba, but here little about the Elixir. Does anyone have experience with both?

My Use:
    I'll be car camping in Pennsylvania, primarily, with my girlfriend and I. She has always 'glamped' (Glamorous Camping) so tent camping is new to her. She would prefer to have an air mattress; I like extra space. So, a minimum of a three person tent sounds like it'll be best - it'll fit a queen-sized mattress (I know, I know - I'm working on her slowly but surely. She does like the outdoors though!). I recently bought a house by Lake Ontario, so I'd like to scoot over to the Adirondacks. It is extremely wet in that area due to the 'Lake Effect.' I'd like to start off slow, but eventually, work my way into backpacking - overnight to two nights to three nights, etc. Like I said, I want livability, but more importantly, I want to stay dry. I'd also like to hop on a plane to various parts of the country to backpack. So, even though we'll be car camping at first, weight is a bit of a concern.

From my research, I see the Elixir Series uses a thicker material. I can only assume that it'll hold up in weather better, but will a Hubba also protect me from the same elements? Obviously I would get a footprint for the Hubba; the Elixir comes with one. If I go with the Hubba, maybe I can get the Papa Hubba? I know it is heavier than the Mutha Hubba and a few ounces LIGHTER than the Elixir 3.

I have never backpacked before, but my mentality is, I can 'splurge' on the tent (Weight wise) and make up the difference in clothing. Example: If I can save 4-5 ounces on three pieces of clothing, it'll be roughly the same weight. Maybe I take one less cliff bar? But what are your guys thoughts? Again, I'd like space/livability and weather protection. Here is a link to the tents in question:

Elixir 3
    https://www.rei.com/product/865347/msr-elixir-3-tent

Mutha Hubba
    https://www.rei.com/product/863077/m...-hubba-nx-tent

Papa Hubba
    https://www.rei.com/product/863098/m...-hubba-nx-tent

Thank you again for all of your help in advance!
    Elixir 3
    0%
    Mutha Hubba
    0%
    Papa Hubba
    0%
    Other
    0%
    Last edited by WannabeOutdoorsman; 03-25-2016, 09:16 PM.

Re: MSR Hubba vs. Elixir Series - Help Appreciated

MSR Elixir 3 Tent

specs

Best use Backpacking
    Seasons 3-season
    Sleeping capacity 3-person
    Minimum trail weight 5 pounds
    Fly / footprint pitch weight 4 lbs. 4 oz.
    Packaged weight 6 lbs. 13 oz.
    Packed size 8 x 20 inches
    Floor dimensions 84 x 68 inches
    Floor area 39.5 square feet
    Vestibule area 8.75 + 8.75 square feet
    Peak height 41 inches
    Number of doors 2 doors
    Number of poles 3
    Pole material DAC aluminum
    Pole diameter 9.3 millimeters
    Canopy fabric 20-denier nylon micromesh / 40-denier ripstop nylon
    Floor fabric 70-denier coated nylon
    Rainfly fabric 68-denier coated ripstop polyester
    Design type Freestanding
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

MSR Papa Hubba NX Tent

specs

Best use Backpacking
      Seasons 3-season
      Sleeping capacity 4-person
      Minimum trail weight 5 lbs. 15 oz.
      Fly / footprint pitch weight 4 lbs. 11 oz.
      Packaged weight 6 lbs. 8 oz.
      Packed size 7 x 21 inches
      Floor dimensions 93 x 84 inches
      Floor area 53 square feet
      Vestibule area 22 square feet
      Peak height 44 inches
      Number of doors 2 doors
      Number of poles 2 + 1 hubbed poleset
      Pole material DAC aluminum
      Pole diameter Unavailable
      Canopy fabric 20-denier ripstop nylon / 15-denier nylon mesh
      Floor fabric 30-denier ripstop nylon
      Rainfly fabric 20-denier ripstop nylon
      Ultralight Yes
      Design type Freestanding
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

WannaBO- That version of the Mutha is sold out/ no longer in production. Do want the specs for the newer version put up?
        2017:

Comment

Thanks, NYCgrrl! I guess what I'm trying to get at is, will the Hubba series hold up just as well as the Elixir? I'm not too familiar with fabrics - 30 Denier vs 70 Denier. It stinks that there are no Elixir and Mutha/Papa tents in my area!

Comment

I was looking at these two tents and wondering the same thing, why does the PH only have 30D vs Elixirs 70D, did you ever find out? Could it be a different nylon that is more durable?

Comment

Denier is the designation for the threads per square inch in fabric. So I think it's safe to say that the denser fabric would be more durable.

Comment

Working...
              X