"Footprint" dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Footprint" dimensions

I bought a Eureka Inntorest 3 last Fall. Unlike most smaller tents sold these days, there is no "fitted" footprint available for this model (and as it's discontinued, there won't be). In my 30+ years of tent camping, I've never really needed a fitted footprint and always just used a tarp of about the right size and folded any excess underneath.

However, looking at how today's footprints are designed, I see the advantages. For example, having webbing/grommets that match up to the tent's poles should do a better job of keeping that extra layer of protection in place. So, with that in mind, I looked for other tents with the same floor dimensions (63" x 90") and there are many that are close, but not exact, and at the cost of these things, I didn't want to buy one that I thought would fit and have to mail it back because it didn't.

Finally, I decided to go with what I knew and just get a tarp to fit, but add a way to attach it at the corners rather than just letting it "float". I went with this one, which measures 59" x 84.6". So, it'll be about 2" short on the long sides and 2-3" short on the short sides. In other words, there will be 2-3" of the tent floor overhanging the tarp on all sides. Is that an acceptable amount of overlap, or should I look for a larger tarp and cut it down?

Also, as a simple means of attaching the corners, I just used some lengths of thin (1/8") bungee cord, thinking I'd just loop that over the webbing that the poles attach to at each corner. If I want to get fancy later, I might add nylon webbing and grommets that would be a little more secure and look less jury-rigged.

Re: "Footprint" dimensions

Floor material: 75D 190T polyester taffeta, 3000mm

Me? I think you'll be fine as long as you don't put too much weight in the corners.
    BUT

I wonder about the tarp you linked. It seems to be prone to tearing at the grommets but some reviewers stated that they beefed it up. Is this made of cotton Oxford or a man made material?
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-06-2016, 04:51 PM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

That's a nice tarp with Oxford 300D fabric and 3000+mm PU coating (where did you see the specs you listed NYCgrrl? I didn't see those.) Good durable footprint material. Based on some of the reviews, I would be cautious about the corner grommets. It sounds like they may have a tendency to tear out...but for use as a footprint (rather than a hanging tarp), they should be ok as the stresses will be much less.

In my opinion, the 2-3 inches the tent floor overlaps the tarp footprint should be ok....especially since you'll be anchoring it to the tent corners/poles/stake to prevent "float".

I'd have to check, but I think the floors on my 3P tents don't overlap the official "fitted" footprints by more than 2-3 inches on a side either.

Tyvek is also a great footprint material.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I've seen where an oversized tarp is prone to funneling dirt and rain under it, so personally, I don't advise it. I've used 6 mil plastic sheeting, cut to just under the tent dimensions, under my tents and it's held up very well - even without attaching it to the poles. If you're not weight conscious, I bought some 18 vinyl tarp material last year to use as a ground sheet and I really like it. Still not attached to anything, the stuff really shields against stuff you miss when clearing a spot for the tent. http://www.mytarp.com/vinyl-fabrics.aspx
        Last edited by MacGyver; 04-06-2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I've seen where an oversized tarp is prone to funneling dirt and rain under it, so personally, I don't advise it. http://www.mytarp.com/vinyl-fabrics.aspx
          Hey Mac - agree on oversized. I think the OP's tarp/footprint he's getting is slightly smaller (2-3" each side) in dimension than his tent floor size. He should be ok, do you agree?
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            That's a nice tarp with Oxford 300D fabric and 3000+mm PU coating (where did you see the specs you listed NYCgrrl? I didn't see those.)
            Oh that's the tent floor's spec I listed not the Oxford cloth's.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey Mac - agree on oversized. I think the OP's tarp/footprint he's getting is slightly smaller (2-3" each side) in dimension than his tent floor size. He should be ok, do you agree?
              I put in about 12 hours work in 8 hours today. Totally misread the OP. Yeah - he'll be fine. LOL
              G'nite!

Comment

Yeah, the edges of the tarp will be 2-3" inside the edges of the tent floor, not the other way around.

I guess my question really was: On tents that have fitted footprints, is the footprint typically exactly the same dimensions as the floor, or slightly smaller; and if smaller, by how much?

-Chad

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
                  Yeah, the edges of the tarp will be 2-3" inside the edges of the tent floor, not the other way around.

I guess my question really was: On tents that have fitted footprints, is the footprint typically exactly the same dimensions as the floor, or slightly smaller; and if smaller, by how much?

-Chad
                  In my experience...always slightly smaller. On my 3P tents, the footprint is maybe 2-3 inches "in" all the way around. On the 6P tents, perhaps 5 inches or so. The footprint really isn't that far "in" that you can't see the it when you lift the tent edge/bottom.

I had to make a footprint for my Field and Stream CloudPeak 4P tent. Sold by Dicks (I bought off of eBay), no footprint..tent floorplan is a hexagon shape. I just used a tarp and then cut/gorilla taped to shape it about 3 inches "in" from each of the tents sides. Works great and I've never had water get between the tent and the footprint.

sigpic

Comment

In my experience...always slightly smaller. On my 3P tents, the footprint is maybe 2-3 inches "in" all the way around. On the 6P tents, perhaps 5 inches or so. The footprint really isn't that far "in" that you can't see the it when you lift the tent edge/bottom.
                    Thanks for the info!

Comment

I just use tyvek. As long as it doesn't funnel water under the tent floor it's sized correctly. Maybe an inch or two smaller than the tent floor all around. Tyvek does not have good water resistance but it has good puncture resistance, which is what I'm after.

P.S.: New tyvek is noisy. Break it in if you want to be neighborly.
                      Last edited by Irate Mormon; 04-10-2016, 09:11 PM. Reason: Additional information
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I too use 6 mil polyethylene. It is tough stuff and lasts well. I cut a piece off the roll for under the tent and use the rest of the roll as a rainfly over the tent or as a tarp suspended adjacent to the tent for a dry area in case of rain.

Comment

Working...
                        X