Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Trying to Tent Camp in an RV spot

Hi Guys,

I have been the occasional camper hanging out with friends in the woods or at a local state park or even someone's field. (live in CT) But this year me and my guy are going to take a 2 week tour of the US.

From Waterbury CT to Vegas. Trip out northern states, Trip back southern states.

Our first stop is the Great Lakes (I have never been) and was trying to get a tent camping spot on either Kelley's Island or South Bass but all that I can find open on our date (June 25th) is Campsite Non Electrical which looks like an RV hook up spot.

I tried calling the park, but got no answer, and figured I could use some general advice on this.

Can you rent an RV site and put up a tent? Is this frowned upon socially? I know the idea of camping in the middle of a bus parking lot doesn't sound great, but there seems to be a goodish amount of space around the rv sites and i think I would be fine to set up on the side or in front/behind of the spot. And the area is gorgeous so i don't think i would be too much of a hardship.

Is this something you would recommend or should i give up and find something on the mainland? All advice is welcome.

Next stop is in Nebraska, then Denver, then the Grand Canyon, then Vegas. On the way back we are hitting Texas, New Orleans, and then stopping to see my family in Tennessee, maybe one night at the top of Virginia then home.

If you have any tips we are happy to have them. we are the occasional weekend camper and have never flown solo like this before (or outside our own backyard)

have a great weekend!

Rebecca.

Re: Newbie Trying to Tent Camp in an RV spot

Originally posted by Rebeccca View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have been the occasional camper hanging out with friends in the woods or at a local state park or even someone's field. (live in CT) But this year me and my guy are going to take a 2 week tour of the US.

From Waterbury CT to Vegas. Trip out northern states, Trip back southern states.

Our first stop is the Great Lakes (I have never been) and was trying to get a tent camping spot on either Kelley's Island or South Bass but all that I can find open on our date (June 25th) is Campsite Non Electrical which looks like an RV hook up spot.

I tried calling the park, but got no answer, and figured I could use some general advice on this.

Can you rent an RV site and put up a tent? Is this frowned upon socially? I know the idea of camping in the middle of a bus parking lot doesn't sound great, but there seems to be a goodish amount of space around the rv sites and i think I would be fine to set up on the side or in front/behind of the spot. And the area is gorgeous so i don't think i would be too much of a hardship.

Is this something you would recommend or should i give up and find something on the mainland? All advice is welcome.

Next stop is in Nebraska, then Denver, then the Grand Canyon, then Vegas. On the way back we are hitting Texas, New Orleans, and then stopping to see my family in Tennessee, maybe one night at the top of Virginia then home.

If you have any tips we are happy to have them. we are the occasional weekend camper and have never flown solo like this before (or outside our own backyard)

have a great weekend!

Rebecca.
    Hello and welcome Rebecca!

OK, firstly I read " Campsite Non Electrical" as meaning it's suitable for RVs or tents just doesn't have an electrical hookup. Book it while available and move on. Oh and don't forget to look at the campsite via Google Earth. Thing of beauty.

Since this will be a whirlwind tour my best advice is to make sure you have as few possible "where do we stay?"speed bumps as possible. Book in advance as much as possible for areas with few campsites and high population density. For sure book near or in Grand Canyon ASAP since that area fills up fast during the summer. Oh and don't get fussy about island sites this late in the reservation season. You are running late in a short time frame trip.
    Have fun out there and let us know how it's going.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Have you looked into dispersed/primitave camping? Vould avoid the problem if you can swing a little "adventure". I would just say to use google earth the scout out multiple locations just in case the first one (or more) doesnt pan out.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

The only thing I can add to this is to say that I'd be wary of setting up a tent on an RV site without knowing if it's allowed. I've read on other forums (e.g. http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm) that there are some fussy places that won't allow school bus conversions in an RV site, so I can easily imagine a tent wouldn't make the cut either.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          The only thing I can add to this is to say that I'd be wary of setting up a tent on an RV site without knowing if it's allowed. I've read on other forums (e.g. http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm) that there are some fussy places that won't allow school bus conversions in an RV site, so I can easily imagine a tent wouldn't make the cut either.
          There is that reality as well so maybe the answer to the burning question is calling the camp ground again during M-F. Or "Yelp"-ing it.

Keeping your eyes open to BLM, state DEP land and similar, as James suggested, isn't a bad idea either. Around the Great Lakes you should find a lot of choices in campgrounds. Staying in primitive sites will mean no comfort station facilities but you do have Pilot Flyers, TA and individual truck stops to accommodate you along the way and the freedom to travel w/o reservations.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Down here, pretty much anything goes.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

First, there is a difference between an "RV Park" and a "campground" (no matter what RV forums think). RV Parks are often parking lots with minimal space between sites and most often do not allow tent camping.

Campgrounds are campgrounds. With that, there are different types of campgrounds. For the most part, national forests, state parks, and national parks all allow tent camping in any site unless specifically prohibited. Even electrical hookup sites. Many of these campgrounds have "tent only" sites - usually these are campsites that you must walk a short trail to reach and therefore are not conducive to camping in your vehicle (RV camping); some have a general parking area and then all the sites are short trail walks' away. Private and local campgrounds can vary as to what they allow - and private campgrounds are the most varied in rules. How much space between sites is specific to the campground and state/region - you shouldn't find too much difference between spacing in any specific NF, SP, or NP campground (e.g., if the electrical sites are 50 ft apart, the non-electrical will usually be about the same - then tent only may be slightly further apart since they can be pushed out from the road a bit more.

I looked at Kelley's Island on reserveamerica and I don't see any "tent prohibited" campsites. In fact, even the electrical sites show "RV site, Tent site, Trailer site".
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have stayed in a couple of RV parks that had no provision for tent camping but the last 2 I have stayed in have had lots of grassy areas and did allow tents to be set up. You will just need to contact the park and ask what their policy is. Be sure to check out some KOA sites as some of them allow tents.

Comment

double post
                  Last edited by actad; 04-25-2016, 09:35 PM.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by JoeN View Post
                    I have stayed in a couple of RV parks that had no provision for tent camping but the last 2 I have stayed in have had lots of grassy areas and did allow tents to be set up. You will just need to contact the park and ask what their policy is. Be sure to check out some KOA sites as some of them allow tents.
                    The KOA in Ashland, KY has no-utilities tent sites for $20 and electric sites, which are also nearer the restrooms, for $23. I thought that was pretty reasonable for a franchise type campground that is close to an interstate exit. I plan on using it this summer as I will only be there to sleep. I won't care if sites are close together to other campers & it is less expensive than a motel.

I stayed at a private campground in KY last year that did not have any tent restrictions. I actually parked in the same site twice - first with my tent and later in the season with my TT. Same price both times - $31. (When in my tent, I just charged my phone and ran a little night light before turning in. When in the TT, we had an oxygen concentrator running all night, among other electric needs. Go figure.)
                    Last edited by actad; 04-25-2016, 09:33 PM.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

You guys are awesome! And right on point! I did have a conversation with the fine folks at the park and there should be no issues. There is a grassy area for tenting. The gentleman was super nice.

We are moving forward on locking things down.

So first start of the trip, 2 nights on South Bass Island. Reserved and Paid for already! next we are tenting in Des Moines. (there are few places along the way, not going to sweat this one as we are just sleeping)

Next big stop is Colorado/Utah and we haven't planned this one out yet. we have 4 nights to work with and are thinking maybe one quick night at the border of Colorado then next 3 nights set up somewhere more glamorous... maybe Estes Park or Glenwood Springs in Colorado or head on a little further to Utah (Zion, Bryce, or Moab)

Then we are headed into sin city. 3 nights booked in Vegas. (and i got a suite.. a big one... lol.) i figure after spending a week in a tent with my guy i am going to need a little space. The suite has full kitchen, living room, bedroom, balcony... and much needed washer and dryer!

Next stop! Mather State Park Arizona 2 nights in the Grand Canyon!! I am so looking forward to this! This campsite looks amazing!

Then we have 2 more stops on the way to Tennessee where i have family we are going to stop and spend a couple of days with. I am not sure where to stay along the way. Gotta work on that.

So thanks a bunch and i'll update further as we schedule up more parts of the trip.

kind regards,

Rebecca.

Comment

Working...
                      X