Primitive drive-up camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primitive drive-up camping

Hello all, this is my first time on camping forums, and this seems like the right group of people to help me find what i am looking for. I grew up camping and backpacking a lot in Oklahoma, but its been 7 or 8 years for me, and my wife has never been camping. I am not really into the idea of having neighbors when i camp. I fondly remember drive up tent camping in my teens in Oklahoma in very primitive places we could just pull up to and put a tent up a few feet away and i would really like to bring that experience to my wife. Our first trip is planned for this June at Great Smoky Mountain national park, but alas, all of their car spots are elbow to elbow and all of their dispersed camping is backpacking only. For her first trip it probably isn't the worst, I just really want to have that secluded peaceful feeling next time. We live in Chicago but are willing to drive a good distance if it's a great spot. 8-12 hour drive is acceptable, I just don't think we wanna head out to the Pacific Northwest or something just yet. Backpacking is something we want to work my wife into comfort wise so for the next few seasons at least it will be car and tent only.

TL;DR So we are looking for a place we can drive up to a spot and not have people in viewing or listening distance.
Working...
X