Sleeping pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping pads

I'm looking for a good but reasonable sleeping pads for my bad back . All opinions appreciated

Re: Sleeping pads

We use Alps Mountaineering Comfort Series. They are fantastically comfortable and of high quality. We got them at the beginning of last year and have spent around 20-25 nights on them. They are foam filled auto-inflating. so they don't pack up very small if that's a concern.
    Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

I think that ThermaRest and MegaMat make some of the best, and you can also get REI and EMS brands, and for a budget, Costco carries some decent knockoff versionis. Look for an R-value of 5.0 or greater to be "thermo neutral". Store them open with the valve loose, like under a bed.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Yup. They are surprisingly comfortable. A cot works well too.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by debx77 View Post
          I'm looking for a good but reasonable sleeping pads for my bad back . All opinions appreciated
          I can definitely recommend the Therm-a-rest LuxuryMAP pads. Been using one for a few years and, as a topper on my cot, it's the best I've ever slept while camping.

Comment

Can't personally recommend any sleeping pads since I haven't camped any place recently where they are needed but reading nevertheless.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have a bad back also and no longer sleep on the ground. Actually, I can sleep alright on the ground I just have problems getting up off the ground. I now sleep on a cot with my Therm-a-Rest on the cot. Sometimes I put a blue closed cell foam pad under the Therm-a-Rest for extra insulation and padding. I recently found some 4" self inflating pads at Academy for half price so I bought 2. I haven't used them camping yet but on the floor at home they seem comfortable. Because of my back I can't walk very far or carry heavy loads so I am never too far from my truck. I buy gear for comfort and not for backpacking.

Comment

I have a gel pad on the really firm mattress that came in the travel trailer. Makes it quite comfortable.

When in a tent, I use a Coleman Ridgeline cot. It comes with a foam mattress, and I put an inexpensive closed cell sleeping pad between the mattress and the cot. The cot has suspension which has just enough "give" which is helpful since I have problems with a regular cot.

I do have a Wenzel self inflating pad for sleeping on the ground, but am a bit leery of trying it since I have such issues with hip bursitis this spring. I may try it this summer if the inflammation goes down.
                Last edited by actad; 05-21-2016, 03:57 PM.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
                X