Tent footprints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent footprints

We're having heavy rains most of this week, starting yesterday, so it was perfect timing for testing our new tent. Its a REI Kingdom 8 with matching footprint and setup was easy enough (with Youtube help since included instructions were terrible, and for the older version anyways). Rains were very heavy and wind was enough that you felt it in the house but overall the tent did well, except for noted above. One thing I noticed is that water pooled significantly under the one half of the tent. What is the best way of getting water out from under the tent without uprooting and moving the tent?

Why are tents made needing footprints? Why not just make the floor durable enough to not need a separate footprint? Is this just a revenue generating tactic?

Re: Tent footprints

As far as I can figure, there is no way to get water out from under a tent. All I know is to set things up ahead of time to minimize the chance of funneling rain under the tent. That's one of the main reasons I won't go without putting up a tarp before I even set the tent up. If I can't find a spot that isn't near a slope that looks like it'll send water my way, I'll use a hand mattock to dig a shallow trench, using the excavated dirt to build up the side towards the tent to steer rain away. Then again, when Mother Nature wants to really rain buckets on you, it's not always possible to avoid a river under your floor. That's about the time I say a few cuss words, take another shot off the bottle, turn the music up and deal with it the best I can.

I can't give a definitive answer to the footprint question either. A money making proposition makes sense to me, too. But I can also figure that there are always people who like the weight savings and/or prefer to use their own floor protection. Personally, I won't buy a footprint unless it comes with the tent. I've never seen one that looks heavy enough to beat the heavy plastic sheets I've used in the past and the plastic is infinitely cheaper. My current footprints for my five smallest tents are all made from 18 ounce, vinyl coated tarp material - not even close to backpacking gear, but definitely as bulletproof as anything I've ever used.

Comment

The BEST WAY of getting water out from under the tent is either (A) wiping the bottom of the "bathtub" waterproof tent bottom with a moist cloth (our way) when you pack it out, letting it dry before folding, or (B) placing grommets every 16" or so at 16" intervals into your tarp footprint. Grommet kits are available in many places for only a few dollars, requiring only a hammer and a bit o' muscle.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to look into the grommet kit. Am I understanding correctly that the grommets are put over the whole area and not just the perimeter of the footprint?

Comment

Originally posted by jejton View Post
          We're having heavy rains most of this week, starting yesterday, so it was perfect timing for testing our new tent. Its a REI Kingdom 8 with matching footprint and setup was easy enough (with Youtube help since included instructions were terrible, and for the older version anyways). Rains were very heavy and wind was enough that you felt it in the house but overall the tent did well, except for noted above. One thing I noticed is that water pooled significantly under the one half of the tent. What is the best way of getting water out from under the tent without uprooting and moving the tent?

Why are tents made needing footprints? Why not just make the floor durable enough to not need a separate footprint? Is this just a revenue generating tactic?
          Was it a leveling problem perhaps?
          Don't know whether the tent was new to you or recently purchased at REI but I'd take a good look at the floor seams in the area where the water puddled before doing anything else.

HTH!
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to look into the grommet kit. Am I understanding correctly that the grommets are put over the whole area and not just the perimeter of the footprint?
            Yes, I'm thinking you'd want to "ventilate" the tarp in areas where water pools. I remember a material commonly used for RV mats, on the ground, under the awning, this material is usually green or beige and is perforated so water passes through it. A smaller size might be a better alternative to tarps, providing it's not too heavy.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

IMO: I'm thinking this was simply a result of heavy rain combined with heavy wind. The wind pushes against side of the tent which exposes the ground sheet slightly (it would be the same if you lifted the side of the tent a bit---you'll see the ground sheet under. The rain running down the tent side (and/or wind driven rain) then has access to get between the tent floor and the ground sheet...resulting in some pooling between the two.

It happens. I wouldn't punch grommets into my Kingdom ground sheet. Grommet holes in the ground sheet are just as likely to allow water/mud/debris to bubble up through those holes. I would just accept that occasionally during heavy rains/winds you'll get some water pooling. With the thickness of your seam sealed tent floor and the decent waterproofing that REI applies, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to get seepage through the tent floor. Upon tent take down, just wipe up the water on both the tent bottom and the ground sheet and allow both to dry thoroughly before storage.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I mainly use backpacking tents. The floor of these tents is not bathtub style or otherwise waterproof. With these tents, one depends upon campsite selection for water proofing. I normally use a Tyvek footprint. Tyvek will not keep water from seeping in, but it WILL provide puncture resistance from rocks, etc. I also car camp and use tents with bathtub floors, in which case I never mess with a footprint, which would be redundant. SO - I dunno about the REI, but I would say first, select a campsite where water won't pool under your tent, and second - it depends on the floor of your tent.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think a65hoosier is correct in what likely happened. Anyway, the tent is dried, packed and ready for our trip. Picked up extra stakes and paracord and now have to learn to guy it properly.

The seams come presealed on this tent but should I seal them again anyways?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think a65hoosier is correct in what likely happened. Anyway, the tent is dried, packed and ready for our trip. Picked up extra stakes and paracord and now have to learn to guy it properly.

The seams come presealed on this tent but should I seal them again anyways?

I wouldn't. Not really necessary right out of the gate with a factory sealed/taped seam. You can...won't hurt anything...but I wouldn't. Eventually....if you notice the tape cracking/drying out/etc (or leaks/seepage thru), then it would be time. You should be good to go. I haven't had to seal a seam on any of my tents in the past 4 years....all of the tents have factory sealed seams and they are holding fine.
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's because I've taken to always hanging a tarp, but I haven't seam sealed any tent I've owned in probably the last 25 years - and the only time I've ever had even a slight leaking problem was in weather that made me pack up and leave.

Comment

Working...
                      X