Bad news about Kodiak Canvas Warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news about Kodiak Canvas Warranty

First let me say that I love my Kodiak Canvas tent! I have the 10x14 vx model, and although we have only used it for 2 weekends, it has performed very well and is very comfortable.

Now for the bad.

I went to set up my tent in the basement, as it had gotten wet on our trip. I went about setting it up as usual. When I put the T poles together, one of them bent. I have no idea why it bent. It was a little more difficult to get the poles to seat than normal, but I thought that was because I was exhausted and the fabric was soaked.

SO, the pole bent. I would have absolutely no reason to bend a pole on purpose.
    I called Kodiak - at first they said it was covered under the "lifetime warranty". Then they changed their minds and told me I had to buy a new one. The poles aren't super expensive ($22) but it is more about the principle of it.

I have now ordered a new pole, but have yet to receive shipping conformation. Maybe they are mad at me because I mentioned to the rep I would let people know about their "lifetime warranty"

All said and done, I do not regret my purchase and still love the tent. But I can't say as I'm not disappointed and wonder if the warranty is actually going to be worth anything at all in the future.

Re: Bad news about Kodiak Canvas Warranty

Sorry to hear that. It's always disappointing to hear that a company doesn't support their customers, especially on something that's relatively expensive compared to other offerings in the same industry.

I spent a good long while debating between Springbar and Kodiak. I ended up going with Springbar because Kirkham's has been around forever and have a great reputation for standing behind their product. Kodiak gets a lot of good reviews, but hasn't been around as long and I'm always leery of companies that make deals to be sold in big box stores. Sometimes the quality and service goes down in order to meet the demand or price point that the contract with the store dictates. I'm not knocking Kodiak at all, just explaining what went into my decision to go with Springbar.

Hopefully the new pole lasts you a good long time and you can get back to enjoying your tent.
    Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

Update:

New pole has shipped, and they did give me free overnight shipping.

Comment

I wonder why the hassle?
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

i have that same tent and wife and i love it. the windows can't be beat for summer camping and just for the view.
          I am not sticking up for kodiak on this at all, i think for what we paid for the tent they could have just as well sent you a new pole at least the first one free but for the life of me i can't really figure out how you bent that thing. were you trying to push down on the poles with the sleeve extended? that would be difficult and something would break but when i set up that tent that push down part is easy. something must have been stopping the pole from sliding out when you pushed down.
          I would cut that pole in sections and measure the wall thickness with a micromet

Comment

I love the tent also! When we were on the beach it was so hot, but with all sides being able to open windows it wasn't too bad. About as good as you can get without A/C. Then later in the trip, there was a huge downpour. No leaks at all. As for my brother in law's kmart special... all their stuff got soaked.

I think maybe what happened with the pole is this. For one, all fabric was soaked and kinda jumbled. Maybe when I was pushing down on the pole, the short black poles may have been caught on a piece of folded over fabric. Sort of creating a pocket that essentially had the effect of decreasing the width of the roof. The pole was not decreased in length lol. I think this caused it to bend. I did have to strain myself a little, but I also had to do that just to carry the tent, and in my state of exhaustion I didn't notice i was bending it. And no, I did not have the sleeve extended.

Originally posted by xnykid View Post
            i have that same tent and wife and i love it. the windows can't be beat for summer camping and just for the view.
            I am not sticking up for kodiak on this at all, i think for what we paid for the tent they could have just as well sent you a new pole at least the first one free but for the life of me i can't really figure out how you bent that thing. were you trying to push down on the poles with the sleeve extended? that would be difficult and something would break but when i set up that tent that push down part is easy. something must have been stopping the pole from sliding out when you pushed down.
            I would cut that pole in sections and measure the wall thickness with a micromet

Comment

well, i am glad it did not happen when you were out camping, that would be a trip ender. we use ours in the heat too, this weekend it will be in the 90's when we are out, couldn't do it without those big end windows and a good fan. I have a feeling you will never bend a pole again and i have a feeling that now i will not either. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
              X