Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Louisiana to the PNW... Road trip of a lifetime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana to the PNW... Road trip of a lifetime.

So mid August I will be taking a two week road trip. I will be driving from Louisiana, up to Oregon > Washington > Vancouver Island, BC. On the way down, I'm going to drive the coast of California, then cut through Arizona, etc to get home.

I plan on tent camping this whole trip, with occasional nights spent in the bed of my truck under a canvas camper top.

To anyone that has done this before... Do you have any tips or suggestions?

My main thing is crossing into Canada. What I can bring and not bring. I went through the lists i've found online, but I can't really find anything about certain items: big knives, butane for my jetboil, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Louisiana to the PNW... Road trip of a lifetime.

Originally posted by natalie View Post
    So mid August I will be taking a two week road trip. I will be driving from Louisiana, up to Oregon > Washington > Vancouver Island, BC. On the way down, I'm going to drive the coast of California, then cut through Arizona, etc to get home.

I plan on tent camping this whole trip, with occasional nights spent in the bed of my truck under a canvas camper top.

To anyone that has done this before... Do you have any tips or suggestions?

My main thing is crossing into Canada. What I can bring and not bring. I went through the lists i've found online, but I can't really find anything about certain items: big knives, butane for my jetboil, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!
    I used to bring my butane powered curler into Canada but that was pre 9/11. I would say that since RVs with propane tanks are allowed to cross the border you should be fine as long as you are not entering at a tunnel crossing assuming such a thing exists.

HTH!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

knife restrictions in canada usually pertain to out of the ordinary knives, like switchblades or items with hidden blades,
      hunting/camping knives are legal, as long as its justified and declared when you cross the border,
      considering your trip and gear you will have should be fine
      same with the butane for the stove
      and of course its always up to the agents discretion at the time,
      also with such a trip, be prepared to tell the agent where you plan on going and for how long,
      they will probably ask just to make sure your not some vagabond who will be wandering the streets

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna say don't bring your AR, but terasec's warning should suffice. They're funny about that stuff, up there.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Working...
          X