Basic Tent Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Tent Questions

Hello All, I am new to The Forum and new to camping as well, I went a few times when I was younger now I would like to start doing it again. A little background, I am looking for a tent that will be for my Wife and I and sometimes my Wife and I and two Dogs one about 55lbs and one about 40lbs. We plan on camping at campgrounds as well as at Racetracks. I am trying to decide between a 4 and 6 person tent. I like the room of a six person tent but my concern is how well they handle in the wind primarily say at events like The Indy 500 where the camping is basically in a grass field. I have looked at various 6 person tents where the height gets up to over six feet how much more wind susceptible is a six foot tent over say a 44inch tent? My Wife thinks that high of a tent is overkill because as she puts it "your not going to be walking around in the thing" Is she right? I guess aside from standing up to change is that tall of a tent really necessary? I have been looking at Marmot, MSR, Mountainsmith, Exped, Kelty, REI, Nemo and Big Agnes are all these brands pretty solid or does one or two stand out more than the others? Also does any one have any experience with the MTN Glow tents from BA? Gimmick or do they work well? I also ordered a book called Simple tent camping Lol but does anyone else have any reccomendations on how to finally decide on a tent? Thanks in advance!

Re: Basic Tent Questions

As far as size goes, I think you'll find that a 6 person tent will be the best bet for two people and two dogs. It's pretty much an industry standard to gauge tent sizes by campers in sleeping bags with no room for anything else - including room to move around without crawling over each other. As for "walking around", I think you'll find it more convenient to have stand up room if you want to change clothes or stretch your muscles. Changing pants on your knees or on your back can be a bit of a chore. And, as long as you go with a name brand tent, I wouldn't worry too much about wind, especially if you buy a dome tent. Domes generally shed wind better because there aren't any flat sides to catch the wind. I don't think I've ever seen a tent from "The Names" that doesn't have enough guy out points to properly secure it against high winds.

This part is just my opinion. I'm an REI fan and think their tents are among the best bang for the buck tent out there. MSR, Marmot and Big Agnes are next in my book - all good quality at reasonable prices. Kelty just after that. Nemo and Exped make excellent tents but I think they're overpriced. Mountainsmith I simply don't know too much about - I only started seeing them online about a year ago.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer MacGyver, I was a little concerned about The Mountainsmith because they just seem very low priced I have REI Base Camp, Marmot Limestone, Big Agnes Tensleep Mountain Hardwear optic, and Kelty Trail Ridge, and and Granby and The Mountainsmith Conifer(5 person) on my 6 person short list, I may drop The Keltys and Mountainsmith off my short list. I am assuming the Cabelas Alaskan Guide series is too hot for summertime camping?

Comment

I agree about the standing space - especially with 2 dogs who don't always get that you do NOT want them to sprawl across your lap as you try to get dressed. I also think it's surprising how often you WILL be going in and out of the tent during the day - unless you're keeping all your stuff outside. Need the aspirin - crawl into the tent; need the sweatshirt, crawl into the tent; need the towel, crawl into the tent; need the other shoes, crawl into the tent...
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

If you were just going tobuse it camping in the middle of nowhere I would say height doesnt matter but if you are going to use it places where you cant be changing outside the tent (unless you feel like others would like to see you in various states of undress) then get one tall enough to stand in.

Plus the obligatory 'try getting a cheap used tent off craigslist to find out what your needs REALLY are'
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Overall, I agree with Macgyver on his groupings...but as a Marmot owner/fan, I'd probably move REI down a notch and just lump them in with Marmot, Big Agnes, MSR, (add The North Face) group. :he:

But that doesn't mean other makers don't make some gems or hit a sweet spot as to overall value. Depends on your budget and needs/wants.

Sooooooooo...6P or 4P tent? hmmmmm....it depends. lol

If you have the real estate to pitch and properly guy out a 6P tent, then I would probably go with a 6P tent. You will generally find 6+ foot headroom. Also two doors, two larger vestibules (perhaps stowing a Luggable Loo in there for race weekend camping?). Overall...more camping luxury. If you get stuck in the tent during a "rain delay"...you'll have some space. Most of the "The Name" brands 6P tents have footprint sizes ranging from 8-10 foot X 8-10 foot (add real estate to stretch the vestibules out for tents that have them-some tents have very large vestibules).

But......I wouldn't necessarily rule out a 4P tent. You should be able to locate 4P tents that have 5 foot (60in), or more, interior heights (44in is on the very short side for 4P "car camping" tents) with around 7-8ft x 8ft footprint sizes (I've listed a few below). They cost less (freeing up $ for other gear) and have only slightly smaller footprint sizes and overall about a foot or so of interior height. Can you stand up in 60in or so interior height? I could... with a slight waist bend which is ok for me for changing.

As MacGyver indicated....the larger 6P tents should be guyed out against bad winds (I'd argue the 4P ones probably should be also, but they do present a slightly smaller wind profile-so the risk isn't quite as bad). Will you be able to guy out the tent during race weekend camping? Possible trip hazard in confined field/lot camping...and worst, perhaps having the tent damaged by a trip and rip of a new tent in confined quarters. Here..having a smaller height tent with shorter/minimum guy out needs is a locational & weather advantage.

Another thought to consider: Are you sleeping on pads or inflatable air mattresses? This will make a difference in how you should figure "use" of interior tent space. A tall inflatable air mattress will chew up interior livability space quickly as compared to a 4" foam sleep pad on the floor.

When researching, compare interior heights, footprint sizes, # poles & diameters, ventilation options, storage options. You really just have to weigh cost/features/etc against what you want and expect the tent to do. I'd pass on the Glo technology and go with a LED lanterns or headlamps (can be used outside the tent around camp-or around the house) rather than pay the premium on BA's installed Glo strips.

Some 6P and 4P tent model suggestions, all durable, with good reps/quality manufacture&materials/great warranties:

REI BaseCamp 6P 4P (strong pole structure vs winds, longer set-up time)
            REI Kingdom 6P 4P (great interior space, fly options, should be guyed out)
            Marmot Limestone 6P 4P (I own the 6P - spacious, fast set-up, but beware the 4P has but one door)
            Marmot Halo 6P 4P (strong pole structure, big vestibules, great ventilation options)
            Big Agnes Big House 6P 4P (4P has 68" interior height, optional add on vestibule/garage makes this huge space, without it tho-no vestibule)
            Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6P 4P (strong pole structure vs winds, longer set-up time, great ventilation options)
            TNF Tensleep 6P (front vestibule has unique set-up options)

There are of course many others...
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 06-12-2016, 09:16 AM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

(I'd argue the 4P ones probably should be also, but they do present a slightly smaller wind profile-so the risk isn't quite as bad)
              Anecdotally, after the freak high wind storms of the CT seashore I keep seeing smaller dome style tents hitting the dumpsters rather than the larger cabin styles. Now this may be that the cabin tent owners are more cautious in guy lining and the dome tent owners more cavalier all due to design differences but it certainly has been an eyeopener for me.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                Anecdotally, after the freak high wind storms of the CT seashore I keep seeing smaller dome style tents hitting the dumpsters rather than the larger cabin styles. Now this may be that the cabin tent owners are more cautious in guy lining and the dome tent owners more cavalier all due to design differences but it certainly has been an eyeopener for me.
                lol...lately all I see is lawn chairs and cheap grills. No tents...but then again, I've not been in a real blowdown in a couple of years.

It could also be that small tents tend to be free standing, which invites inexperienced users to assume no need to stake the actual tent down (much less guy lines)...or they'll use the itty bitty stakes provided with the tent. I remember your story of the tumbling tumbleweed of a tent rolling across the campground that no one seemed to claim (?!?). lololol
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  lol...lately all I see is lawn chairs and cheap grills. No tents...but then again, I've not been in a real blowdown in a couple of years.

It could also be that small tents tend to be free standing, which invites inexperienced users to assume no need to stake the actual tent down (much less guy lines)...or they'll use the itty bitty stakes provided with the tent. I remember your story of the tumbling tumbleweed of a tent rolling across the campground that no one seemed to claim (?!?). lololol

This was my thought as well. Don't cabin tents require the guy lines. IIRC the cabin tent I own will set up without them but it is kind of soft and flabby until the lines are set.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    This was my thought as well. Don't cabin tents require the guy lines. IIRC the cabin tent I own will set up without them but it is kind of soft and flabby until the lines are set.
                    Like the Coleman I had years ago, I see other companies that offer cabin tents that don't even have any guyline tieouts. The ridge pole is supported by vertical poles, the end poles supported by poles that are angled towards the center. In the picture below, I figure they just threw the tent up to get a picture to put it online. When I pitched it, it was a bit tighter looking than that - and surprisingly stable in wind.

Man, I miss that tent. Stolen from a "security locker" by the maintenance department where I rented an apartment years ago. The idiots left the poles so it was useless.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 06-12-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

Not so many chairs lost to bad weather this way. It's kinda funny when you think on it but most people immediately run to put the drugstore chairs away when bad weather starts because well yanno they're just that precious :D. The morning after it's the inevitable EZ Ups and pole caved in abandoned tents.

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      Wellll ahem I used to ignore the guy lines on both my cabin style tents until a baddddddd thing happened but let's NOT flashback to that disaster narrowly averted; I don't think the tents looked "flabby" but maybe I just don't remember properly.

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      Like the Coleman I had years ago, I see other companies that offer cabin tents that don't even have any guyline tieouts. The ridge pole is supported by vertical poles, the end poles supported by poles that are angled towards the center. In the picture below, I figure they just threw the tent up to get a picture to put it online. When I pitched it, it was a bit tighter looking than that - and surprisingly stable in wind.

Man, I miss that tent. Stolen from a "security locker" by the maintenance department where I rented an apartment years ago. The idiots left the poles so it was useless.
                      What kind of Coleman was that, MacG?
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        What kind of Coleman was that, MacG?
                        That was a Coleman Oasis. Note what looks like a flap over the end window - that was actually an awning that was held up with dowels and elastic cord. Did wonders for ventilation in storms.

Comment

I was wondering what that fabric rectangle was for:cool:
                          2017:

Comment

A65Hoosier, that is great advice, including guyouts how big of an area do you think your Marmot Limestone 6 covers? For instance camping at Indy 500 you get a 20x20 space and my car will take up roughly 6x15 basically leaving me about a 14x20 area for the tent would a Marmot 6 fit there well?

Comment

Sorry if I have like three posts in a row, mine re taking awhile to get approved. Looking at The Kelty line they seem to use 68d polyester on the floor, fly and canopy. Is that heavy enough especially on the floors? Another tent I'm looking at The Marmot Limestone has 150d nylon on the floor, does that mean The Marmot is way more durable on the floor?

Comment

Working...
                              X