Back country camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back country camping

I think that's what it's called.....you hike for the campsite instead of pulling your vehicle up to the sectioned off lot? A few quick questions......

First....is that the correct name?
    Second....does anybody know of a decent place in New England for that type of camping?
    Lastly....I want to go for a week. Should I bring along a tent that can sleep more than what I need for the room, or is it really a matter of preference?

Thank you.

P.S. I just joined today, so please excuse any of my newbie mistakes on the forum.

Re: Back country camping

Originally posted by Gentleman Johnny View Post
    I think that's what it's called.....you hike for the campsite instead of pulling your vehicle up to the sectioned off lot? A few quick questions......

Second....does anybody know of a decent place in New England for that type of camping?
    Lastly....I want to go for a week. Should I bring along a tent that can sleep more than what I need for the room, or is it really a matter of preference?

Thank you.

P.S. I just joined today, so please excuse any of my newbie mistakes on the forum.
    Hello and welcome, Gentleman Johhny.

Back country camping/backpacking it all means pretty much the same thing. You carry it in and carry it out.

Many places in NE...particularly in NH, Me and Vermont. Or just follow parts of the Appalachian Trail. Outside New England you also have the Adirondacks in NYS. Have a preference for a state?

As for equipment since you are carrying it yourself I'd look for low weight gear in general and specifically as it relates to a tent. You can even forgo the tent and opt for a hammock if you are so inclined.

HTH!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Welcome
      first i would try to narrow down your preferance
      then search state lands within that state and regs for such
      in ny state you need a permit for camping more than 3 days/nights
      also some lands have restrictions on where to camp distance from trails/water etc
      also will need to check local fire restrictions as that will factor into your cooking method

Comment

Just for a quick clarification, you're talking about hiking out into the wilderness correct? I'm asking because some campgrounds have walk-in sites where you walk a short distance and there's a campsite. It's a bit different than back country camping. The responses you get will be very different if you're walk-in camping instead of back country camping.

Welcome to the site!!
        Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

I always called it backpacking...
          I don't do it at all anymore the ol' knees complain after downhills... (just day hikes now), and have never spent all that much time in the northeast (it was a nice place to visit).
          I would recommend starting small with short trips.

The backpacking stuff that I used to use included a sil-nylon (light weight) tarp, until it was used to death/tatters.
          then a piece of tyvek house wrap (again due to the weight).
          and a piece of visqueen for a ground cloth.
          Many highly recommend hammocks , however trees are sometimes hard to come by (in the desert).
          when my bones were younger a half inch closed cell foam insulating pad (3/4 length to save weight) on the ground was plenty.

Footwear is all important (buy a boot that feels good in the store; don't consider any that need to be "broken in". Wear the boots daily for a couple of weeks to let them and your feet reach agreement.. If you feel a blister start slap a 2"x2" piece of duct tape on it as soon as possible. I personally still wear light to medium weight hikers. Match the boot weight to the load and terrain, IMO (keep the load as light as possible for the best experience) Some feel price makes a difference but I have usually, not always, gotten good service from inexpensive hikers.
          I won't consider a pair of waterproof boots as they make my feet sweat and are very uncomfortable (even gore tex lined)... others may be different.

About the lightest weight stove is a DIY Pepsi can alcohol stove (many ways to make them on the interweb). Make a stand to set the pot or cup on.
          for longer trips I used to use a found fuel (sticks) stove; mine is was made by Emberlit; there are likely better designs out there now).

Check out ultra light backpacking on the internet; I have never been a gram fanatic but if all of your stuff, when you get it, including your pack weighs 30 pounds you probably need to pare it down some...

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-24-2016, 12:33 PM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

My choices for state would be New Hampshire or Maine for NE, someplace in New York is also a possibility. I haven't really decided just yet, and I'm still torn between camping in the woods or maybe on a mountain if it's possible and close by. Someplace with some fishing.

When I find someplace that I wouldn't mind spending a week, I will definitely look into any needed permits, fire restrictions, weather forecasts see if there is any hunting going on anywhere near there and such.

I would love to go hiking into the wilderness to find my own campsite. A small clearing where it's obvious it's was a campsite at some point, not sectioned off like you see in campsites with the showers and restrooms within sight at some state parks. I don't want the next group of campers 10 feet from my tent. Someplace with a bit of privacy.

I would spend a weekend at a potential site to get a feel for the area before I commit to a week. I wouldn't be camping alone (mostly for safety), so some of the weight issues wouldn't be too much, but I will definitely reduce the weight so i'm not exhausted by the time I find a spot. I will look into the gear suggestions Happy Joe made and see what I have that needs replacing or has an acceptable light-weight substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentleman Johnny View Post

Thank you.

Are you physically wanting to hike to a spot? Or do you just want to avoid the campgrounds (and the people in them)?
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Are you physically wanting to hike to a spot? Or do you just want to avoid the campgrounds (and the people in them)?
                Ditto = there are a lot of remote camping sites that don't require you to hike in. Well, at least here in the SE.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                X