Old military tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old military tent

Hey guys, sorry for the long post. I was reminiscing about my childhood a while back and remembers this old tent. It laid out on a concrete stoop out back of our house for years and years rolled up. When I was about 13 or 14 my cousin and I decided to drag it out after mom and dad repeatedly trying to convince us it was probably a dry rotted breeding ground for spiders and other such critters. Being the hard headed teens that we were we drug it out and set it up. To our parents surprise it was still in pretty decent shape. It was od green canvas and full of pinholes but still kept the water out. I'm trying to figure out what it was and maybe find one for sale. I always assumed it was an old military tent. Like I said it was od green canvas, maybe 8 feet tall. It had a double screen window on the back with a canvas shutter inbetween. There was a two piece wooden pole with a metal point on top that went through a metal grommet in the top of the roof. I remember we had to stake the corners first and then put the pole up and there was a metal wire square that went up with rope to make like a pyramid shape out of the top. The door was maybe 6 feet tall by maybe 4 wide and tied shut with a screen. We always pulled the door out and propped it with poles to sit under. This was the most awesome tent as a teen and I'd love to find another. Any ideas on what it would have been is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Re: Old military tent

Sounds like a pretty standard "cabin" style canvas tent; relatively few manufacturers make old school heavy canvas tents anymore (when you find "canvas it is often quite light weight) so you will probably be ahead searching (google) for vintage or antique canvas tent images; although a search of "canvas tents" may come up with something similar to what you want.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...=1730&bih=1024
    I occasionally see quite old tents for sale at garage sales so you are probably in for quite a treasure hunt even if you can figure out who actually made the tent you are interested in...
    You can also search for vintage Coleman tents vintage Wenzel tents (there were many brands), GP small (6 sided) and GP medium, actual military tents (very heavy). There were also a great many wall tents made of olive drab (OD) canvas.

Good luck!
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-06-2016, 08:58 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Re: Old military tent

You could buy a set of shelter halves on the cheap...not the same thing, but real military gear.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
      X