Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered the Mountainsmith Equinox 4 Person Tent! Any inputs on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered the Mountainsmith Equinox 4 Person Tent! Any inputs on this?

Has anyone heard or used this tent? Ordered it online for $120.Click image for larger version

Name:	mountainsmith-equinox-tent-4-personan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	72928

Re: Ordered the Mountainsmith Equinox 4 Person Tent! Any inputs on this?

Seems to have good airflow.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

It got good reviews, and is very light for a 4-person tent. Plus standing room. I'm tempted to get one myself, to replace this awful Coleman Weathermaster. The brand is not one I've heard of - Chinese I would guess.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Never seen the Equinox in person, but Mountainsmith makes decent tents...certainly better than anything in the big box stores. Not high end, not low end...about in the middle in terms of quality/materials/features, etc. You'll find thicker fabrics, good waterproofing ratings (esp on the floor), aluminum poles, good sized vestibules, and dual fly vents. Pretty standard 4 person dome tent.

Here is a link to Sierra Trading Post who currently has it on sale for $139.95. Sign up for their DealFlyer and get another 20% off...bringing it down to $112. Not bad for a 4 person, 2 door/2 vestibule, aluminum pole tent. Specs and reviews: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mou...tents~d~228%2F

And a video link of the tent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7k96JXeAwk
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
          It got good reviews, and is very light for a 4-person tent. Plus standing room. I'm tempted to get one myself, to replace this awful Coleman Weathermaster. The brand is not one I've heard of - Chinese I would guess.
          Hey, Irate..unless you're under 52 inches tall, you're not standing up in the Equinox. Oh wait...I see your avatar---you should be good.
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            Hey, Irate..unless you're under 52 inches tall, you're not standing up in the Equinox. Oh wait...I see your avatar---you should be good.
            :lol:
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Heh, one of the reviewers said they were 6 feet and could stand up in it. I guess that means I can manage it :-D

Comment

A decent combination of improved features over the Eureka-type competition, two doors and sporting a full-coverage rainfly, polyester fly fabric, some kind of aluminum poles, and Sierra Designs-patented SwiftClip support attachments. You could pay this much money and get a lot less in the market.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  :lol:
                  Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  Heh, one of the reviewers said they were 6 feet and could stand up in it. I guess that means I can manage it :-D
                  What IS that in your avatar? It kinda looks like a muppet.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Sounds like I did pretty well! I had the coleman naugatuck 6 person tent...for myself...in RMNP...and it got down to 35 degrees at night. Lets just say that a 13x7 for 1 person in a sleeping bag made a cold night. If I could get my wife to camp with me (scared that a bear will eat us) then this 4 person will keep us nice n toasty. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Comment

I haven't tried this tent, however we have 2 Mountainsmith tent and we are really happy with them. We have the Morrison 2 and the Conifer 5+. We find the Morrison 2 to be very comfortable but we only use it for overnight stays without the dog. The dog will only sleep in her collapsible crate or she gets scared. My husband love the vestibule and the head room in the Conifer. Both tents are made well and we have had no issues with either tent. We also had the Coleman Naugatuck 6, it wasn't a bad tent but it was showing wear. I think you will be happy with the Mountainsmith. We find them easy to set up and good quality for the money.

Comment

I am pretty sure the equinox is the exact same tent as The Mountainsmith Gennesee just a different color

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                          What IS that in your avatar? It kinda looks like a muppet.
                          It's a cat...a wet one...with creepy features.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input! Tent arrives today!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoody View Post
                              Thank you everyone for your input! Tent arrives today!
                              Nice! Do give us an update with first impressions and then again after you've used it (just update this thread).

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X