Seam sealing new tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seam sealing new tent

Just wanted to know if tents such as Coleman, Browning and such when bought new, if they required to be seam sealed before using for the very first time. I've read articles with both views, some have no issues not seam sealing and others have leaks. I never seam sealed my tents that I've had in the past ,however I knew nothing about taking care of the tent either. I know that the higher end tents probably don't require any special extra attention before using, but for those in the 300.00 and under family tents I was curious and concerned before taking a new tent out. This year I was hoping to buy either the Browning Big Horn Cabin tent or another large family tent for my wife and I and two teenage daughters but do to financial difficulties it didn't work out, still planning on buying one soon or in the near future.

Re: Seam sealing new tent

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
    Just wanted to know if tents such as Coleman, Browning and such when bought new, if they required to be seam sealed before using for the very first time. I've read articles with both views, some have no issues not seam sealing and others have leaks. I never seam sealed my tents that I've had in the past ,however I knew nothing about taking care of the tent either. I know that the higher end tents probably don't require any special extra attention before using, but for those in the 300.00 and under family tents I was curious and concerned before taking a new tent out. This year I was hoping to buy either the Browning Big Horn Cabin tent or another large family tent for my wife and I and two teenage daughters but do to financial difficulties it didn't work out, still planning on buying one soon or in the near future.
    I have never seam sealed any tent I have ever owned and never had a problem. Of course I am in Arizona where rain isn't a big issue.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

I too have never seam sealed a tent, although some had minor leaks during monsoon like hail storms (you know Noah had the right idea when you can see the water line rising around the base of the tent on the walls from the inside)...I now look for and ask if the seams are taped with (silicone?) tape as the tent is made, it definitely helps keep the seams from leaking.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I seam sealed my 4 person Coleman after I had it for four years and my 1 person Kamprite's rainfly when I got it. Probably not necessary as neither has ever leaked, but who is to say that isn't why no leaks. Didn't hurt and neither used much of the seam sealer bottle.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

We have those so-called "high end tents" (thank you Ebay) and seam seal every other season with a thin paintbrush and regular seam-sealer on those inside seams where thread is exposed. The "factory welded" seams like in the bathtub floor don't require sealing, as there are no exposed threads. So simple but necessary in the mountains of California where we spend half of our camping season outdoors.
          Last edited by tplife; 08-17-2016, 08:59 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've not seam-sealed a mainstream tent, but I wish I could rainfly seal them...OTOH, I took my Kelty Crestone One (solo) tent into a hurricane (I kid you not) and stayed dry. So YMMV. I've since retired the Kelty, but one could do worse.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I think it much depends on the tent you are interested in buying. A general rule of thumb is the more expensive tents usually usually don't need to sealed. Often on cheaper tents they will apply the waterproof coating to the materials, then they will sow the materials together and wont reapply the coating after to the seam hence why sometimes the seams are a weak point and tend to leak. But to answer your question I would definitely recommend always sealing the seams on both the inside and outside, I usually have done it on my tents and its always saved me grief from leaks in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X