Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footprint compatible with Eureka Taron 3 tent

Hello,

I have a Eureka Taron 3 tent, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience with a footprint that works well for this tent. Eureka doesn't seem to make footprints, and the ground covers they make seem pretty thin and likely to puncture. I know that a lot of people make their own footprints with Tyvek, or tarps, but I'm looking for one of the pre-made (overpriced) ones with the grommets, if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

Re: Footprint compatible with Eureka Taron 3 tent

A standard tarp is what we go back to after owning a couple of "brand-name footprints". Unlike the footprint, a tarp is inexpensive and the extra length gives some clean surface under the vestibules to leave your boots and a flashlight for nature calls, lol. Pooling water is not an issue as our tents have seam-sealed waterproof "bathtub" floor designs.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Dimension of taron 3 is 5'6"x 7'4"
      so anything slightly smaller will be fine
      5x7 should be an easy size to find

Comment

If you want something bulletproof, talk to the people at Tarps Now. They make custom tarps to your specifications. A tarp made from 10 or 14 ounce vinyl would probably outlive you.

Comment

All good advice above.

I own quite a few footprints, many custom, some homemade. Note that many of the brand's custom footprints are made of the same denier and fabric and coated to the same waterproof specs as the floor of the tent. If it's a thin floor, it will be a thin footprint. I mainly use them to keep my tent floor underside cleaner, and provide a bit more waterproofing and abrasion protection.

Eureka does make custom fitted footprints for certain tents and it appears the Taron 3 was one of them. I found one online....granted, it's coming from an online outfitter from Toronto Canada (so shipping to my house was estimated at $33usd - Yikes! Know anyone close to Toronto??). Footprint itself is $33 (which isn't bad). So, there is a footprint out there sized/custom for your tent...pricey...maybe one will appear on eBay or other online sites at a better price. You need to periodically search tho (set eBay to auto notify you if it is listed). It might be better to find a right sized tarp (4x6 would be good under fit, 5x7 turned lengthwise into the vestibules would give you some vestibule cover also per tp's suggestion) and install corner grommets and shockcord to get that "custom" fit now and keep looking if you want the custom Taron 3 fp at a lower hit to the gear budget.

Link to the Canadian store with the footprint: https://www.tentcityoutfitters.com/p...tprint-taron-3
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-31-2016, 04:19 PM.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

A particularly annnoying feature we don't like with the "custom footprints" is that when it rains and you're not camped on a perfectly manicured lawn, there's a lot of dirt splashed on the lower portions of the tent. The larger tarp I use doesn't have that drawback, and means there's no need for both the tarp and the footprint. Even just a few inches on the sides keeps the tent much cleaner, requiring only a quick wipe with a washcloth as the tent is folded away to leave the campsite.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              A particularly annnoying feature we don't like with the "custom footprints" is that when it rains and you're not camped on a perfectly manicured lawn, there's a lot of dirt splashed on the lower portions of the tent. The larger tarp I use doesn't have that drawback, and means there's no need for both the tarp and the footprint. Even just a few inches on the sides keeps the tent much cleaner, requiring only a quick wipe with a washcloth as the tent is folded away to leave the campsite.
              Huh? If it's raining, I get dirt splash whether I use a tarp or a footprint since it is kept a few inches under the tent and is smaller than the footprint dimensions of the tent. Do you run your tarp outside the actual tent all around to keep the tent sides clean? Doesn't the tarp collect rain/runoff which can then be funneled under the tent?
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                Huh? If it's raining, I get dirt splash whether I use a tarp or a footprint since it is kept a few inches under the tent and is smaller than the footprint dimensions of the tent. Do you run your tarp outside the actual tent all around to keep the tent sides clean? Doesn't the tarp collect rain/runoff which can then be funneled under the tent?
                Yes Mr. a65hoosier (former 3-year Fort Wayne resident myself), we use tarps that are outside of the tent itself. Even in our mountain downpours, with a floor blanket, sleeping pads, and gear inside, the pooled rainwater doesn't amount to much. We just let the half-folded tent air dry over a picnic table or vehicle, then fold it up. If damp at home we hang it up to dry. It is a lot easier than the chore of cleaning off the sides of a dirty tent from the usual decomposed granite splashes all over the lower foot of tent body. I only use the footprint for my motorcycle tent, as it precludes toting the usual tarp. My 6-man Bedouin footprint just stays at home in a box.

Comment

A good cheap footprint can be made from 6 mil sheeting. You can buy a roll at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, or just about any hardware store. Just cut to the size and shape you want and save the rest. The 6 mil is very tough and will last for a long time. It is great for car camping but too heavy for backpacking.

Comment

Working...
                  X