Hanging food in bear country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging food in bear country

When primitive camping, does it make a difference if your non cooler food is either swinging from a tree branch at night or just closed up inside your vehicle? Specifically black bears.

Re: Hanging food in bear country

Originally posted by gettinaway View Post
    When primitive camping, does it make a difference if your non cooler food is either swinging from a tree branch at night or just closed up inside your vehicle? Specifically black bears.
    I don't really camp in bear country so I am probably not the guy to give answers but I would think that food in your car is just food in a big lunch box to a bear. So it would probably be better to hang it.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

depends where and how you are camping,
      primitive camping my car usually isn't close enough to consider such
      public campgrounds generally not enough space to hang food, as it will be hanging in someone elses camp, think most campgrounds have rules against it.
      if I am near my car, I leave it in the car usually hang when backwoods camping and car is not close enough,

Comment

I have not had to take bear precautions because they are not a concern where I typically camp. I do still protect my food from the typical woodland thieves (raccoons, other small animals, and unfortunately, humans)...which means I either lock down the Yeti or leave it in the SUV when I am out of camp or sleeping.

I read somewhere that if you are keeping food in your car that you should keep it in your trunk (rather than in the passenger area uncovered). Nuisance bears have learned the shape of a cooler and that it might contain potential edible rewards inside. Unfortunately, even if it is empty in the back seat, they may cause some damage attempting to get it because they associate/recognize the size/shape of the cooler with food.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

In some areas, black bears have learned to associate cars with food. An old co-worker had a bear get into her car at Lake Tahoe and get shut in - the car was totaled by the time the bear got out.

Yes, coolers are a known entity for bears. If you put it in your vehicle, cover it up so it is not viewable. Most campgrounds out here that are in black bear territory have bear lockers at each campsite for food storage - and it is very recommended that you use them.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

We have only camped in bear county a few times. At the one area the rangers kept coming by because we were from the Midwest and bear activity was high. When we arrived we were told to keep all food and water in the car and covered. We stayed in that site for a week and we think we heard a bear sniffing around one night but it left. Neither the husband or I wanted to look.
            i always keep a clean camp no matter where I camp. All food put in car, we keep non perishable food in opsak bags, any dropped food gets cleaned up and dish and cooking water in the vault toilet. One weekend our camp neighbors left a plastic tub of snacks on the picnic table with a bungee across the top to keep the raccoons out. Something chewed through the side. They actually complained to the rangers.

Comment

Some coolers (yeti, cabelas polar cap, orca) are bear proof, if you use 2 bolts or pad locks. IMHO, it would be better to leave your food out, than in your car a bear can get in your car and destroy it. Raccoons, not so much.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I've known folks who have had bears take off with their coolers. Some were found the next day chewed up, others never found.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  I've known folks who have had bears take off with their coolers. Some were found the next day chewed up, others never found.
                  Since i can confirm i camp in bear country, food storage is where i am concentrating this preseason. And it will be chained down to prevent theft
                  Watch this video.
                  https://youtu.be/e3k8qdh-r_E

Comment

Heck, it might even be an idea to pick up a larger yeti (65 qt) on CL or FB Marketplace to use as a dry food storage container. it's rated, cheap (used around $250), and won't take up to much room in the back of my truck just chain them to s tree or something

Comment

Does yeti claim their coolers are bear proof? or people just claiming so?
                      looking at yetis I don't see them as bear proof, anything with a corner, ridge, lip that a bear can get teeth on or claws into I don't consider bear proof

Comment

sorry for getting into thuis discussion late (life sometimes intrudes);
                        I really don't consider a trip great unless I see some large wildlife (bears, elk, deer, wild sheep/goats etc.) numerous times bears have run through/past camp and a friend had one roll his old Coleman cooler around one night.
                        Having seen some of the destruction that a bear can do to a vehicle I would recommend against storing food anywhere in one. (it would be much better to just kiss the food off than total a vehicle, IMO.
                        For this reason I keep the non cooler food in large ammo cans on the theory that they are impervious to small critters and likely somewhat resistant to bears.
                        The bear resistant cooler (I doubt that any, semi reasonably priced, cooler is bear proof) I keep chained to a tree (to keep the two legged varmints from running off with it).

For me hanging food is just too much hassle an (and, I have heard stories that some bears are smart enough to get it.. don' know how true they are though).

Enjoy!
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                          Does yeti claim their coolers are bear proof? or people just claiming so?
                          looking at yetis I don't see them as bear proof, anything with a corner, ridge, lip that a bear can get teeth on or claws into I don't consider bear proof
                          Yeti claims it. Their tundra series coolers have been certified bear resistant since 2008. I'm not sure anything is "proof". You have to use a lock on each corner of the Yeti (although I like the bolt idea-post #7). See the video Kingquad linked to in post #9...which is a Yeti produced vid of their cooler going up against a bear.

Here's another vid spot lighting the private company that does the bear testing of various manufacturer's products and awards the bear resistant certification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAi9QdqUAaw
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM.
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I can't see anything made of plastic being bear proof unless it has no corners and/or is too large to fit in the mouth of a bear. Even the canisters they sell to keep stuff like dehydrated food in can be crushed flat and chewed open.

Comment

I guess "bear proof" is the wrong terminology. Yeti coolers are certified as Bear Resistant by the IGBC. Which is the people who certify stuff. It also looks like a model of Ozark Trail coolers have been certified. It is lighter and cheaper than a pannier or a greenlee job box. My main concerns are not losing my food for the weekend, not training a bear to associate people with food and not having to use the campground bear boxes, when I am in a campground.
                              Like Joe said, I see deer, elk, Moose, Bear, Turkey, and lots of other big game animals.
                              Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (
                              IGBC)
                              http://igbconline.org/

You can look at the list here.
                              http://igbconline.org/wp-content/upl...ducts_List.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X