Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own the Desert Canyon tent from Eureka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own the Desert Canyon tent from Eureka?

Hello, having returned from an 11 night trip using our old Sundome 6, I've decided that it's just about time to get a new tent. I noticed that the Sundome's floor is getting worn and the tent fabric is getting a bit fragile (it tore when my wife tripped exiting the tent, but was patched with duct tape). It may be good for another use or two, but beyond that I'm not sure I'd trust it in anything but mild conditions.

We've always had dome tents, but lately I've been attracted to wall tents. My first choice was a Kodiak (due to better cool weather performance), but my wife is dead set against canvas (sigh). So now I'm attracted to the Eureka line of wall tents. I like the copper canyon, but the short fly bothers me. I prefer the fly design on the desert model, plus there's the added bonus that the floor has a touch more waterproofing than the copper. HOWEVER, the windows on the desert can't be zipped...instead they rely on ties or loops to fasten the windows. It seems to me that should one get a heavy rain with wind that such a design could be prone to leaks. That is the one issue that makes me leery of the desert.

Also, I considered the Jade, but have read reports that the aluminum poles aren't as durable as they should be in a strong wind (winds that the copper survived just fine). Otherwise, the Jade is likewise a good choice. There's also the new model, Space Camp 6, but it's a bit pricey (like the fly design though).

Desert Canyon seems to be the best compromise of the Canyon series, but I've been unable to find much online from real world use....
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Re: Anyone own the Desert Canyon tent from Eureka?

Since I already have more tents than I know what to do with, I don't look at them much anymore. But I do seem to recall (and doubt it's changed) that most newer tents have a lot of mesh and that most companies aren't much for making windows that zip up anymore - unless, like you alluded to, you spend beaucoup bucks.

I don't know if you'd settle for a large dome - they're not quite as spacious as the wall tents, but Alps Mountaineering makes an 8x12 dome with a full fly with a vestibule. It's called the Taurus 5 Outfitter.

I'll deny ever having said it even though it's here in print - I'll swear I was hacked, but personally I'd get the cheapest tent you could find, let yourselves get rained on one time, then extol the virtues of the Kodiak! :666:

Comment

Ironically, during lunch today I was looking at the tents from ALPS and the Taurus 6 did catch my attention (it wasn't the outfitter model though). I also liked the Meramac 6, very similar in design to our Sundome 6 (which despite being a cheap tent, has survived many a downpour and windstorm while keeping us dry, but does seem to need replacing every so often. Our present Sundome has given us 7 years of reliable duty and previously a similar tent from Coleman gave us 10 years ).

If I don't get the wall tent, I just may get one of the two ALPS tents (Meramac or Taurus). Size is identical to what we've been using, but will just have to put up with my head hitting the wall of tent while dressing (the queen air mattress uses up the prime real estate which causes us to stand to one side while dressing....).

Comment

I've had the Copper Canyon 4 for about 3 years now and love it. Taken it out about 3-4 times per year. I know you asked about the Desert Canyon b/c of worries about the Copper Canyon fly and possible rain. I have been through many storms with the thing and there was never more than a table spoon of water in a corner where I should probably use sealant. I use it solo and can easily raise it by myself -- calling it my "mobil cabin in the woods." Because of the thin floor, I put a tarp under it and a moving blanket as my floor covering. When storms come through I use all the guylines and stake out the tent. When I am very sure that there won't be rain, I have slept without the fly. Without a fan it can get stuffy because the bottoms of the windows are so high. It was important to me to have a window on each wall. Wish the door had more mesh on it.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Since I already have more tents than I know what to do with, I don't look at them much anymore. But I do seem to recall (and doubt it's changed) that most newer tents have a lot of mesh and that most companies aren't much for making windows that zip up anymore - unless, like you alluded to, you spend beaucoup bucks.

I don't know if you'd settle for a large dome - they're not quite as spacious as the wall tents, but Alps Mountaineering makes an 8x12 dome with a full fly with a vestibule. It's called the Taurus 5 Outfitter.

I'll deny ever having said it even though it's here in print - I'll swear I was hacked, but personally I'd get the cheapest tent you could find, let yourselves get rained on one time, then extol the virtues of the Kodiak! :666:
          most modern tents have a fuller fly than tents of 10-20 years ago
          modern flys often cover 3/4 to full coverage of the tent itself, with larger fly's there tends to be more mesh on the tent itself with less need of closures
          older tents tend to have flys that just covered the top making zip up closures a necessity

Comment

Agree, but the problem with most full fly tents is that you then can't open a window (or look out assuming the tent itself is mostly mesh) without going outside and lifting the fly. I like the convenience of being able to open the window from inside the tent, either to look out or to adjust the airflow.

The ideal tent (to me) would be one that offered all of the following: near vertical or vertical walls, 100 square feet of floor space (give or take a little), windows that can be opened from inside and allow a view as well as ventilation, a full to 3/4 fly that can be adjusted from inside, a modest vestibule (for keeping shoes outside), rear intake for ventilation near the floor, screening across top of tent, 1500mm or better water proofing of walls and fly, 1800 or better for floor (or even better, a vinyl of poly floor), bathtub style floor, plenty of storage pockets, especially at corners near floor.

So far I've been unable to find a tent that meets all the criteria...many tents have some, but not all the criteria. Maybe I'm just being too picky.....but I envision having a tent that will keep me dry in any weather and yet still allow me to wake up at night to open a window to gaze at the stars and close them again after my wife tells me she's getting cold.....:mdr:

Comment

My most favorite part about the tent is the Shelter Pitch Option that provides shade without the tent.

Comment

Since the windows don't zip along the sides, have you noticed any water infiltration during heavy rain with wind? That's my only concern...would feel more comfortable if the windows zipped along the sides.

Comment

Working...
                X