Concerned in Bear Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned in Bear Country

I have a fall trip planned and will be camping in Black Bear country. Will be in a campground with toilets but the toilet from my camp site is quite a little hike. Being an older person, bathroom trips are frequent during the night. Since I’m in bear country, am I safe in having my portable loo in my tent? I’ve been reading all the rules on camping with bears but still confused on if this is a good idea.

Re: Concerned in Bear Country

If you are worried, why not keep it next to your tent instead of inside?

Comment

wouldnt be too concerned over Black bears,
      been camping in Black bear territory for decades
      only time bears have been an issue was when it was my fault for leaving something out with an odor such as food, like leaving an unwashed pot out,
      just making some noise should be enough to clear a path to the loo
      i wouldnt want one in my tent, aside from odors it will attract critters, large and small
      some critters will be attracted just to investigate the odor
      some basic precautions in blackbear territory is no smellables at camp, that incldues food, toothpaste, deodarant, etc, anything with an odor
      either leave it in the car, or hang it 100 yds downwind
      public campgrounds hanging is generally not an option but car is usually nearby

Comment

I stopped leaving anything that would attract bears in my vehicle after seeing some pics of the destruction that bears can do to vehicles (would rather give the cookies away than replace the vehicle).

Been camping with a porta pot (Thetford) for several years any smell from use dissipates rapidly and there is shortly none detectable, at least according to my nose. Do keep it clean (spray bottle; the "Flush-er doesn't do a very good job).... be sure to use the chemicals as directed. If you haven't gotten it yet get one that is bigger than you think that you need.

Camping with a Dog seems to be enough to warn off the bears around here.
        Keep a clean site; burn/sterilize any food/drink remains/packaging or put it in a bear proof disposal can asap... a trash bag/trasharoo is an open invitation to animals; as is cooking grease. Don't cook in/near the tent; odors linger. Don't store food in the tent (even munchies). I store food in large/heavy metal ammo cans (they may not be bear rated but so far no issues) or a bear resistant, rated, cooler; both outside the tent.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-09-2019, 08:41 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          I stopped leaving anything that would attract bears in my vehicle after seeing some pics of the destruction that bears can do to vehicles (would rather give the cookies away than replace the vehicle).

Enjoy!

have seen same videos
          think they are overly dramatized for sensationalism,
          it has happened at Yosemite, yet has not occurred at Yellowstone, and hasn't occurred in majority of US nat parks
          millions of campers out across the country sure it happens, but not to the point of any concern,
          been car camping for decades, remote and public grounds camping, never even had bear paw prints near my car, around my camp yes multiple times, but a bear has never investigated my car

Comment

Friends have had several food related bear-in camp encounters;
            One (in Wisconsin) the young bear attacked a bag of fritos (died for his efforts; shot by the irate frito owner, not me... I felt kind of bad for the bear).
            another here in Colorado a (I assume young) bear rolled a friend's cooler around until the milk ran out... woke me up, happened within 30 feet of my tent, rolled over swore,under my breath, at whoever as making noise at o-dark-thirty then went back to sleep.
            Several bears have run through this camp in the middle of the day.

I can't say anything about how common bear damage to vehicles actually is; but like camping under lightning damaged trees, I try to avoid it.... doesn't take much...

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-09-2019, 09:25 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The loo shouldn't be a problem. Tent trailers have them and I've never heard of any issues.

If concerned, bring a shower enclosure and ask the rangers when you arrive if you should move it out.

As for car damage, a co-worker had her car totaled in Tahoe. The bear got inside the car and while moving around the door closed. He was NOT a happy bear.

Keep your cooler covered (bears recognize coolers as "pikanik baskets") and any food out of sight while stored inside the car. And follow the rules of the individual campground.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I also carry a luggable loo. Some places don’t allow them and some of the bags have a light citrus scent. For those times I have a Johnny Jug with a female adapter. I also put down a dog training mat as extra protection. This is easy to empty in the morning. My husband also uses one in bear country.

Comment

Working...
                X