Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping 2020

Originally posted by huricanelane View Post
    Cooler wise, I am on the fence of getting an electric cooler. I will have power most of the time. I also have a 2 burner butane camping stove that was handed down to my from my father, and is probably as old as I am. I might upgrade to a new model at some point. But I plan to do a lot of campfire cooking, and maybe some dutch oven cooking. I have a fan and ac/heat unit with my build as well. I pick it up early April and will have it out hopefully the last weekend in April. And use through deer hunting season.
    Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
    Having been through the electric cooler, low and high tech cooler and 12 volt fridge thing, I would say to avoid the electric coolers (they really don't cool well especially in hot weather.
    A medium sized high tech cooler works fine for me for trips around 4-5 days (have to stop for fuel every 300 miles or so, and make a bread and munchie run every week or so, thus ice is rarely an issue. (If you open the cooler lid more than a couple of times a day, your ice will not last well, however).
    On some forums you will see people saying that 12 volt refrigerators are the best thing ever... for me they are not as they require a moderate amount of power and thus a need to recharge the 100 amp hour accessory battery every few days... some folks claim great results using solar (~100 Watt panel) to recharge the battery, however my preferred campsites are shady enough to preclude solar recharging (I base camp in primitive (no reservations, no power, no water, no facilities) areas). If you camp in open areas without shade solar recharging may work well.
    If you drive a significant distance every couple of days it will, likely, be enough to recharge the battery, if it is set up to recharge from the vehicle.
    If you have access to ac power, you don't need either the second battery, other than for lights, or to recharge it very often.

Hope it helps...

Enjoy!
    I looked at the electric coolers and came to pretty much the same conclusion as Joe. They just use to much power for primitive power. I will admit that lately I have been thinking of revisiting them. I work for a builder that does spray foam insulation and I have been wondering if I could build one that is insulated enough to make it work. But the truth is that I have a Yeti cooler and since I got that I don't really have a problem with ice or cooling things. In fact, I think could take ice cream on trips and not have it melt.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Being as gadget oriented as I am, especially since my friends have called me Mr. 12 Volt, it's kind of a no-brainer that I've looked at electric coolers. Aside from the initial cost, the thing that most keeps me from busting out the wallet are the reviews for even the top brands like ARB, Engel and Dometic. The rebranded Chinese crap units aren't even a consideration to me. I know to avoid putting too much weight on one star reviews, but when the three star reviews still include lots of complaints about durability, both initial and long term, I just can't bring myself to justify the risk. I also have to factor in that I don't camp when it's super hot, don't typically drink beer and rarely carry a lot of perishable food, especially on short three day trips. I just can't see shelling out $600-1200 just to HOPE I get a good unit that lasts when an Igloo cooler, overpacked with ice and covered by a reflective blanket has served me just fine for years.
      Last edited by MacGyver; 01-11-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I suspect some confusion exists; IMO, electric coolers use solid state (Peltier) thermoeletric devices to reduce their internal temperature down to about 30 or 40 deg. F. below ambient temperature (they will typically not keep ice cream frozen, nor make ice, in the summer). They typically use quite a bit of electricity.

Electric refrigerators use a compressor and refrigerant to transfer the heat out of the box (just like your home fridge). They can freeze ice (and keep ice cream). 12 volt (portable)refrigerators are typically rather expensive (got mine as a customer return for about $300, so they can be had at semi-reasonable prices). Most find that a 100 watt solar panel system is adequate to keep the (typically 100 amp hour) deep discharge battery charged as long as the panel(s) are unshaded.

I still , mostly, use the high efficiency cooler (the 12 volt fridge resides, mostly, unused in long term storage) with ice as it (overall matches my camping better than the fridge (much less hassle, overall, for me)... everyone is different so my preferences and results may not work as well for others...

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

First time camping this year....were going this weekend to our campground....very excited

Comment

I suspect some confusion exists; IMO, electric coolers use solid state (Peltier) thermoeletric devices to reduce their internal temperature down to about 30 or 40 deg. F. below ambient temperature (they will typically not keep ice cream frozen, nor make ice, in the summer). They typically use quite a bit of electricity.

Electric refrigerators use a compressor and refrigerant to transfer the heat out of the box (just like your home fridge). They can freeze ice (and keep ice cream). 12 volt (portable)refrigerators are typically rather expensive (got mine as a customer return for about $300, so they can be had at semi-reasonable prices). Most find that a 100 watt solar panel system is adequate to keep the (typically 100 amp hour) deep discharge battery charged as long as the panel(s) are unshaded.

I still , mostly, use the high efficiency cooler (the 12 volt fridge resides, mostly, unused in long term storage) with ice as it (overall matches my camping better than the fridge (much less hassle, overall, for me)... everyone is different so my preferences and results may not work as well for others...

Enjoy!
            On a side note, I am thinking about using a peltier and some spray foam insulation to see if I can turn the center console in my truck into a small cooler.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              On a side note, I am thinking about using a peltier and some spray foam insulation to see if I can turn the center console in my truck into a small cooler.
              Obviously, I'm all for MacGyvering. But, given the relative inefficiency of peltiers and the high heat of Arizona, I can't imagine you'd be too happy with the results. Interiors of vehicles here in Maryland easily get to 130°, even when the temps aren't 100° outside. Arizona? Maybe you'd be better off turning your console into an oven. :p

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Obviously, I'm all for MacGyvering. But, given the relative inefficiency of peltiers and the high heat of Arizona, I can't imagine you'd be too happy with the results. Interiors of vehicles here in Maryland easily get to 130°, even when the temps aren't 100° outside. Arizona? Maybe you'd be better off turning your console into an oven. :p
                I agree; However, entertainment and experimentation is usually enjoyable, or at least educational.

My experiments involving spray foam have usually been ...messy...

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I agree; However, entertainment and experimentation is usually enjoyable, or at least educational.

My experiments involving spray foam have usually been ...messy...

Enjoy!
                  Well, I work for a builder that does spray foam in every house standard so it would be easy to have done and its high quality stuff. My plan for the peltier would be to have it blow down towards the foot box where the AC would suck it in and cool it anyway. Plus once the inside of the console is cold I would imagine that there wouldn't be much heat coming off it. Probably not going to happen but it is something rolling around inside my noggin.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

I'm certain that you will make the best decision for your situation.

I can only say that I was quite/very dissatisfied with the (commercial) Peltier based cooler that I had (couldn't cool much/quickly, or get very cool; although they probably work for some people as applications differ.), but only moderately dissatisfied with the 12 volt refrigerator (due to its size and power consumption; my fault/wrong choices in the decision process), and very satisfied with the high tech, high performance, ice chest (emulates or beats the performance that I experienced with a 1920s/30s portable ice chest. The insulation is easily 3 times thicker in the modern version, though.

If I were to do it again; I would spring for a smaller/medium sized, 12 volt refrigerator (purchased off season or as a customer return to reduce the price). And figure in the cost of a, secondary/separate, 100 amp hour battery to power it along with the cost of a small, very quiet, multi fuel generator (and charger) to recharge for longer stays, when not using the vehicle to recharge.... solar would work at/in treeless/unshaded camping sites/terrain.

I did do research on building my own refrigerator (on marine sites) but decided that there would be little cost savings (the cost of the 12 volt refrigerant compressor is quite high)

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-18-2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

My 2020 gadget: THE most expensive Erector set ever. I've put together a tent platform with 1-1/4 and 3/4 inch Kee Klamp pipe fittings and 3/4 plywood that will allow me to adjust for sloped and uneven ground. With the basic platform worked out, I'm now trying to decide how to integrate hanging the tarp(s), the movie screen and "electricals". Storage under the platform to keep things out of the weather and not scattered around the site will be another plus.

Comment

My 2020 gadget: THE most expensive Erector set ever. I've put together a tent platform with 1-1/4 and 3/4 inch Kee Klamp pipe fittings and 3/4 plywood that will allow me to adjust for sloped and uneven ground. With the basic platform worked out, I'm now trying to decide how to integrate hanging the tarp(s), the movie screen and "electricals". Storage under the platform to keep things out of the weather and not scattered around the site will be another plus.
                        Can't wait to see it!

I just got my clipper back from the shop. Still have to fix whatever they did to the front fuel tank intake line. Now it's ready for a major cleaning and discinfecting and then I can start restocking it with new gear.

And then I can go camping again!
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          Can't wait to see it!
                          It's a shame I'm not a mechanical engineer. What looked good on paper hasn't worked out too well with getting the tarp up in the air. The platform works well, I just need to tinker around a bit more. It's frustrating but fun. Yes, I'm also a part time masochist.

Good to see you're recovering from your ridiculous episode!

Comment

Thanks. I worked for a mechanical engineer - you'd be amazed how often their plans don't work out...

I thought of you - a guy in Oregon is selling his FoldnRoll. If it were closer to you, I'd tell you to buy it.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              Thanks. I worked for a mechanical engineer - you'd be amazed how often their plans don't work out...

I thought of you - a guy in Oregon is selling his FoldnRoll. If it were closer to you, I'd tell you to buy it.
                              I definitely wouldn't be surprised. I used to work on an assembly line, surrounded by engineers. It used to really piss 'em off when I MacGyvered some of their machines to increase productivity and/or decrease rejected parts. I remember watching a guy play with a conveyor belt system for almost a month. A week in I'd mentioned guide rails to keep the racks of parts from falling. He basically told me to kiss off - and a week later there were guide rails.

I appreciate the thought with the FoldnRoll, but I'm convinced it'll be an enclosed trailer for all the tent gear until I get a fiberglass travel trailer. And THAT will be when my mom passes and I leave this godforsaken state.
                              Last edited by MacGyver; 06-26-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I figured that's what you'd say, but I'd still do it if it were closer...

Comment

Working...
                                X