Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tent for rain

Hello,
    new here but not new to camping. I am looking to replace my leaking tent with a good one that doesn't leak. I would like a 4-6 person with a height of 6' or so. Price not too important as I want a good one this time. So any recomendations with waterproof being the number one requirement? Would I have to go to a 4 season type tent to get this? The 4 season tents don't seem to be very tall. I have looked at some online reviews and looked here too but would like to chat with someone who has some first hand experience.

Howdy Eric,
    Welcome to the camping boards. Thanks for taking the time to join and we all hope that your stay with us will be a long and happy journey. To answer your questions concerning purchasing a new tent that is waterproof. All new tents claim to be waterproof from the get-go and when you purchase one the manufacturer usually includes a bottle of seam sealer. It is always a good idea to set up your new tent in your backyard or close by city park and seal your interior and exterior seams at least once a year before you go out to camp. If the tent your purchase has a high ceiling using a step ladder comes in very handy for sealing. Every seam needs to be sealed, this is where moisture gets into the tent and causes leaks. I have written an article here in the tent camping section(it isn't on page one-but can be found by scrolling through a couple of pages of chat questions and some of these might be of interest to you.

A 4-season tent is just that...a tent to be used in the 4th season(winter). These tents are very expensive and are designed for specific use so unless you really know what you want steer clear of them for starters. I have an Eureka "Copper Canyon" 10'x10' for just the two of us and it is just perfect. It has withstood 60mph winds, sandstorms, very heavy cloud bursts and campground flooding. In the past I have had a Wenzel, a Coleman, and to many more to mention. There is good advice here in this forum to help answer all of your questions. Others will chime in when they see fit and/or want to correct me and that's okay too, we are all learning as we chat and camp! Once again thanks for joining!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
    X