Gear thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
    Thought I had a Tilley, but a check of the inside label it turns out to be a "Dorfman Pacific" - similar style. I got my Mom a Tilley some years back - gotta love the "Elephant Story" they have with it....... :p

Mainly though, I wear either a ballcap or a GI Boonie hat when outdoors.
    Ok tell the story mate,

Ok I've picked up 2 knifes one is a multi tool & the other one will be a felay knife. Here's a picture of the 2 knifes I've purchased!

And now I'm strapped again for cash, Anyways hope you like it.

My cooking site!

Comment

pretty extensive checklist: http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Checklists.htm

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO CAMPING WITHOUT THE FOLLOWING:
      http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Essentials.htm

if you forget any of those you'll be miserable at best, at worst, dead.

be able/prepared to carry/acquire AT LEAST a gallon of water per day, not including the water you use for food prep.

don't forget toiletries!

good luck
      have fun

Comment

The Elephant Story, as I can recall (been a few years), is that a person bought an early Tilley and went to Africa on a photo safari. Somehow, he loses the hat, and an elephant gets hold of it before he can recover it. The Pachyderm EATS it. Some time later, the hat is found little the worse for wear in the .... uh..... 'pile'. This is related in the Tilley instruction pamphlet that comes with the hat. Whether it's true..... ?

Some rugged hat, eh? :D
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Gear List

Another good list of gear needed for camping trips along with recommendations and reviews:

http://www.campsite190.com

Remember it is bug season. We have tried all the new bug repellents and devices out this year. Many of them require batteries and replacement cartridges. Several only last 4 to 5 hours and cost about $5. We also tried the bracelets. One didn't work, we got up to one on each limb.

So far, we have found nothing that beats 100% DEET.

We do carry candle lanterns when backpacking and load them with the citronella candles. They seem to help and put off some light.

Comment

That Tilley had bears a spooky resemblance to my booney hat, except without the cartridge loops and woodland camo finish. Definitely a keeper, though! :D
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
            X