You'll Travel How Far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll Travel How Far?

Figuring it up just fer me, if I travel from Reno Nevada to Manhattan, Kansas it's 1,499 miles from my house to the middle of that fair city. And if I wanted to drive straight there with no stops, no gasoline re-fills, no potty breaks, no seeing this great big beautiful countryside, it would take 23 hours and 54 minutes according to Google Earth.:D

But that's foolishness:rolleyes:...I think it would take me three days each way....with four or five days there at the gathering point. If I'm there on a Sunday...I'm already at my church of camping so it'll be fun! Come rain or shine! Tornado or not! So I'm thinking two weeks total for campin! Sure there might be a couple of nights at a rest stop or in a flea-bag motel, but all-in-all it might just be worth it! Ain't takin no 'puter no cell phones...when I go camping it's to get away from the likes that we all will camp with at this GTG, when-ever & where-ever it may be! I told Desert Rose the furthest I'd drive would be 1500 miles, so it looks like it's just under my distance limit. How about you...how fer are ya traveling to, maybe, Manhattan, Kansas?? :rolleyes:

Hey, there isn't no national park near there is there?:eek:
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Your slow, Reno! Back in my Navy Daze, I had my old '75 Firebird flat out and did Tallahassee, Florida to Mare Island, California ( some 2700 miles, IIRC) in under three days......

Only got one ticket..... :D

Ah, but I was a much younger pup in them days. :rolleyes:
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

That would be 940 miles for me, from Barrie, Ontario to Manhattan KS.
      But they would be Metric miles 'til the CANUSA border, then they'd be Imperial miles......

Comment

It would be about 16 hours for me, from Barrie, Ontario.
        I think 904 miles, but some of those are metric miles, before the border.
        After the border, they are Imperial miles.

Comment

I'd be willing go around 500 miles. A one day drive I'd say.
          May you always have love to share,
          Health to spare
          And friends that care.

Comment

Old Soldiers Never Die

Hey, Dog...back in the Army days I drove with a couple of friends from Ft. Stew to Las Vegas in 2 days straight, only stopping for gas and latrine breaks...my friends had never seen Vegas and wanted to see it and we all took a week off together and drove there and back in 4 total days some 5100 miles and that still gave us three days at my home there...so I ain't slow, just old and tired and want to look around a bit!

Nearly...wouldn't that put you somewhere in Canada. I drove the AlCan Hwy a couple of times too, back when it was all dirt. Then it took nearlywild ten days to drive through Canada!
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM.

Comment

RDF........what's the Alcan Hwy?...

Comment

The Alcan Highway

The Alaska Highway (also known as the Alaskan Highway, Alaska-Canadian Highway, or ALCAN Highway) was constructed during World War II and connects the contiguous U.S. to Alaska through Canada. It runs from Dawson Creek, British Columbia to Delta Junction, Alaska, via Whitehorse, Yukon. Completed in 1942, it was 2,237 km or 1,390 mi long, but is becoming shorter due to rerouting.[1] The historic end of the highway is near milepost 1422,[1] where it meets the Richardson Highway in Delta Junction, Alaska, about 160 km (99 mi) southeast of Fairbanks. Mileposts on the Richardson Highway are numbered from Valdez, Alaska. The Alaska Highway is popularly (but unofficially) considered part of the Pan-American Highway, which extends south to Argentina.

Comment

Ya had me wonderin' there.......cause up here there's a company called Alcan........or used to be..(made tinfoil and other aluminum products)

Didn't know if you were talkin bout their highway, or if you were calling the Trans-Canada somethin different.
                  BTW...........it's long too, @ 8030 km.

Comment

Distance from Barrie Ontario

OC according to Google Earth which down here in the lower 48 states is a free program, it's 1867 Km from Barrie, Ontario and is about 19 hours total drive time. Keeping it in Km("clicks" a slang American term) it is easy to figure. And you would enter the US in Windsor which is just across the border from Detroit. Hope this helps!

Comment

[quote=renodesertfox;9485

Nearly...wouldn't that put you somewhere in Canada. I drove the AlCan Hwy a couple of times too, back when it was all dirt. Then it took nearlywild ten days to drive through Canada![/quote]

We leave here next July. We don't have any idea where we'll be after here. It took us 9 days to drive up from Phoenix, but we had to take lots of breaks because our son was only 4 months old then. Couldn't drive as far each day as we could have if it was just us either. But the Army gave him 10 free days to get up here so we weren't in that much of hurry anyway.
                      Health to spare
                      And friends that care.

Comment

We drove about 360 miles this weekend to go camping. Not too bad of a drive. In Talkeetna we received a locals discount. Only in Alaska can you live 5 hours away and be considered a local.
                        Health to spare
                        And friends that care.

Comment

I think 1500 miles would be my limit as well and that depends on the time of year. Next year, I already have my Yellowstone trip planned and thats a lil over 2000 miles one way. With small kids, 500 miles a day is about their limit. If the camping spot has some interesting things, I could possibly go further but there are so many variables when making that decision. However, I am always looking for an "excuse" to go camping.

How is that for an answer. Talk about being vague. :D I am all over the place with my answer so hopefully, that is as clear as mud.

Comment

What the hell is in Kansas?
                            Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                            USMC Retired
                            Scout/Sniper

Comment

Grass and land, corn too!

Comment

Working...
                              X