It's Time to set up camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time to set up camp

Well, the bowhunt begins Tuesday. My hunting partner and I are going to Island Park, Idaho to set up base camp tomorrow. I get to spend the better part of September 3 miles west of Yellowstone Park stalking elk and bear. It is a great time to gather one's thoughts and plan the next year. I have my camera and will post photos as I go. Nothing is more glorious than fall in the Yellowstone.
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Re: It's Time to set up camp

Thanks Mike for your plans and update. Be advised I moved your thread to "Campouts & Outtings." It is the second forum right underneath Product Reviews. If you are going to run a mini log of your trip, it'll be found more easily here.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I'd love to see the pics!
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Best of luck on your hunting trip! Hope you bag a trophy elk!
        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I made it up to Island Park with my hunting buddy, Ken. He is 71 yrs old and a great hunter but not much help with the manual labor, so he took the photos. Once we arrived at our spot, I dropped the tent and began erecting the frame. I first put together the roof structure of the main tent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020290.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	69385
          The main canvas tent has a sewn-in floor and weighs 90 lbs. I have to pull the canvas over frame.

Name:	P1020295.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	69384
          The frame is in the canvas! Thank goodness that is over!

Name:	P1020297.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	69382
          After covering the main tent with the camo rain fly, I erect the rafters for the cook shack and cover it with the floorless, camo relite (light weight polyester) addition.

Name:	P1020310.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	69383
          I am close to done. Next I install the 14 legs as I stretch the tent and stake it down with 50 stakes and 40 rope lines.

Name:	P1020320.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	69381

It took me about 3 hours to set this up (with rests and water/diet Coke breaks). The temperature was over 80 degrees ....... too hot to hunt. The season starts Tuesday and there is a cold front coming in on Thursday. It should drop the temperature by 30 degrees which should get the animals moving!
          Ken and I finished off the day with a visit to the FrostTop in Ashton for a burger, huckelberry shake and fries before heading home. Elk camp is ready .......... I hope that there are elk!
          Last edited by MikeB; 08-28-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I am so glad I sold my outfitters tent and went with a Kodiak Canvas tent. It takes me about 15 minutes to set up. One thing I did was use colored electrical tape to mark the poles and fittings. Just seemed to help with poles that were close to the same size.

Comment

I leave it up for about a month so it's worth the effort and the woodburning stove makes it extra nice!

Comment

Thanks for updates and the photos! Really nice! Good luck with the hunt!
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Very cool!!

Comment

I would've loved having a wood burning stove in our tent last month! It was very chilly for August.
                    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"

Comment

I made it to camp Thursday afternoon. I began completing camp setup, erecting the shower and toilet tents as well as the beds and the kitchen. The next morning I began scouting the area for animal activity. I found bear sign throughout the area and as close as 20 yards from camp. The bears tear apart the rotting logs looking for grubs and insects.

Name:	P1020325.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	69390
                      As I drove into camp, I had passed a sign that had read "Grizzlys are protected, It's the Law" with instructions about food storage directly below. Someone had removed the Grizzly warning. A reminder of the 2 grizzly deaths this year in Yellowstone, only a few miles away.

Name:	P1020335.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	69391
                      I try to eliminate food odors in camp. Neither my 40 caliber Glock nor I want any unwelcome visitors.

Name:	P1020328.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	69392
                      I took a hike along a closed logging road that is slowly being overgrown with pines. The road is covered in a layer of black granulated volcanic glass and it sounds like you are walking on broken glass as you hike.

Friday night I was in bed, listening to the fire in the stove when a couple of bull elk began bugling from about 50 yards behind my tent. After a 30 minute serenade, I listened to the clatter and rattling of horns as the bulls began their joust for dominance. By midnight, it was over and all was quiet.
                      It is still too hot during the day and too early in the rut. Hopefully, things will come together by the third week of September when the rut kicks into high gear.

Comment

Wow! I'm not sure I would've felt comfortable listening to the elk. I'm a big chicken, so that would just freak me out.

I would've wanted something a bit more substantial between me and them, like a car with the key in the ignition, ready to roll. :o

Comment

Originally posted by surmisez View Post

I would've wanted something a bit more substantial between me and them, like a car with the key in the ignition, ready to roll. :o
                          LOL!! Me too!
                          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Idaho is not known for elk attacks!

Comment

Wow, I love it when I get to hear things like that. My fall will weekends will be full of archery bear hunt. I need to get up to Idaho sometime to do some hunting.

I look forward to reading updates.
                              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                              X