Four Day Trip to the Four Corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Day Trip to the Four Corners

On the 21st of this month, one of my geology classes is heading up to the Four Corners region to do a field study. We will be stopping at several areas of geologic interest, recording things in our field journals, and taking day hikes to special areas designated by our professor and a geologist who works for the state of Arizona.

There will be about seven students and the two instructors. We will be travelling in two vans, and car camping in primitive areas.

I will be taking my service dog (Dexter) and plan to come back with many incredible pictures. We are expecting temps to be around 25 at night and the mid 70s during the days.

There will be a few people on the trip with no camping or hiking experience, and they already know they can come to me with any gear questions they may have. The school, and the state of Arizona will be providing any camping gear that these people do not have (except for hiking boots/shoes), which I thought was pretty dang impressive. Also, the school is paying for all expenses associated with the trip, including food. We were told to expect a fair amount of steak!

We will return on the evening of the 24th, and I will try my best to get a report back to you guys asap, along with some great pictures.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Re: Four Day Trip to the Four Corners

Can't wait to see the pictures! Have a great time!
    My Other Interest

Comment

Got back from the trip. It will take a couple of days to sort through all the pics and decide which stories to tell.

Life is a verb.

Comment

https://picasaweb.google.com/1088469...p08N8_VdhG8u5Q is a link to see the pics from my trip. There are names of places associated with most of them and some geologic explanations.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions about the pics or trip, just let me know.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Also, here is a pic of the best spot I have ever pitched my tent.

Ten feet to the back of my tent, there was a sheer cliff. I had to carry four large rocks up there so I could anchor my tent on top of the outcropping.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Insane! You got guts camping next to a sheer cliff, but what a view!

I looked at all of the pictures from the your four corners trip. Unreal! How many days did it take to get all of those pictures Ben?
            Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Comment

The trip was 4 days, 3 nights, and about 1,100 miles.

Let me tell you that when I crawled into my bag to go to sleep, I swear I felt movement under me! I laid there for several seconds and sure enough.... I felt the movement.

Then I realized the movement came from Dexter leaning and breathing against my inflatable sleeping pad. It freaked me out for a minute, though.

The wind really picked up overnight, and I was glad I had decided to use the rain fly.

Life is a verb.

Comment

This was the valley below my tent.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Dexter is just too cool!!! Nice Gallery, first time looking at them and of course "now"... I want to go!!! I am a bit over saturated with the Big Bend area as this is the 4th winter we come back to Base Camp... and yet, what an incredible space it is...
                  Thanks for the show... well done.
                  Ara and Spirit

Comment

Thanks! We had a blast on that trip. I am going to have to check out your links pretty soon.

Life is a verb.

Comment

ib great photograph and a righteous campsite! The four corners is splendid!
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                      X