Tent Camping in Illinois/Wisconsin Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping in Illinois/Wisconsin Suggestion

Hello, I am looking for a good campground to go to with a group of friends. Last year I only went to one campground and that was Apple River Canyon. I liked this campground quite a bit, but it would have been nicer if the camping sites weren't so close together. I am in a bind here because some of my friends prefer the shower bit. What I am looking for is a place that's relatively close to Schaumburg, IL (approximately 3 hour max drive or less) I am looking for more secluded camp sites (or even back country camping would be nice) with nice trail hiking/swimming. If the park office area has restrooms/showers that's an added bonus.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Tent Camping in Illinois/Wisconsin Suggestion

Have you looked into Bong Recreational Area?
    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/bong/
    It might have what your entire group is looking for. The sites might be close together, but, it is not too far from Schaumburg, has showers, hiking, and a lake.

Comment

I also just found this area. I have never been there... but might go this year. It is located near Rockford, IL.
      http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...htm#Directions

Comment

Suz... I think your second link is the place that was referred to originally in this thread.

That said.... I go to Apple River 3-4 times each season and love the place. Some of the sites are too close but there are many that are not. I personally choose 1, 2, 11, 24, 25, 27 and 50 (only if dry and no threat of rain). It is about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive from the burbs. It is my top choice for tent camping in NoIll. No RV's and very few pop-ups since there are no hook ups.

Comment

Working...
        X