Michigan Spring Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Spring Camping

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and in need of some help. This seemed like a good place to go, with over 2000 members and all.

I'm not "new" to camping. I first started camping two summers ago, when I went to Warren Dunes State Park with a bunch of friends (15+), spent 4 days there (yes, in tents). It was great fun, and did the same thing last summer, and are planning on it again this summer.

My current problem is this Spring Break, late February to early March (I'm a college student), I'm looking to take a short trip around Michigan, mainly Silver Lake, Traverse City, Petosky, and Chayboygan/Mackinaw with a few friends. We were planning on camping to save money/it's more fun, but all Michigan State Parks are closed until April. So I've been looking for non-State Parks open in March, but so far have been unsuccessful. I've spent the past hour Google searching, without much result, and I even searched this site before posting, but still couldn't find an answer.

Does anyone know of any campgrounds or places to pitch a tent around those locations, this early in the year. Or even a website that might have such a list? Or is this simply not a reality?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Michigan Spring Camping

Your last sentence is really an answer. Not too many campateers here from the northern plains. Keep searching, though you might strike pay-dirt. If you do, post up how your camping trip went, it'll entice more from Michigan to sign up! Thanks for asking and you just never know, someone could find the answers you seek and they haven't chimed in yet!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

You know, I have a great list of state campgrounds that are open year-round. And I know of a couple places to pitch a tent in the area you're talking about. I am away from my desk this week. Give me until Monday and I will post some suggestions.

Comment

Febuary and march in Michigan youll be lucky to get in the woods on that side of the state. Check a map looking for state public land or get ahold of the DNR they can give advice and a permit to camp there.

Smiley

Comment

Hey! I am from Michigan and am an avid camper... I have camped all over the state... I started a camping directory where visitors add their favorite campgrounds with detailed descriptions listed by state! and no this isn't spam... I have personally added several camgrounds in Michigan that I have been to and approve... they are all over from the southern part to the middle to up north and the U.P. www.campsiteshare.com if you want to check it out... If you are in traverse city, check out sleeping bear dunes... beautiful... hope this helps out and gives you some ideas...
          Last edited by xckail; 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X