Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New England camping questions (VT, NH, ME)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England camping questions (VT, NH, ME)

I mostly camp in New York state parks but am looking to head into New England this summer. I guess most other state parks generally run their campgrounds the same, but I've come across a couple of state parks which seem to have pop-up/trailer/tent-unfriendly rules (such as, "RVs with full hookups only" - meaning, I guess, that you have to hook up to electric, water and sewer or else they won't allow you in?)

Also, while in NYS parks there is rarely any distinction between sites meant for RVs, trailers or tents (it only matters if you can fit), I'm not sure if that's the case in other states - that is, if when they say "tent site" they really mean "tents only." Don't know what the camping culture is, if it's strictly tent-only granola camping or what. Sometimes the state park websites aren't very helpful.

Also... what is the deal with Baxter in Maine? Can you bring a small, nonelectric popup trailer, or are trailers of any size completely verboten? Again, not clear from their website.

Looking for info on state or public campgrounds only (not interested in privately run campgrounds). Thanks for any insights...

Re: New England camping questions (VT, NH, ME)

Howdy flopka, welcome to CF! According to the web Baxter SP offers only lean-to or tents only. At the top of the following link is a phone number that you could call and get an answer from the State Park.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/index.php

It is true that some places, ie. state parks/national parks nation wide can and due limit some places for RVs only. Even out west, say at Yellowstone there are 13 campgrounds and there are 3 cgs reserved for the RVing crowd. However, there are plenty of places also, that claim to be tent only but you possibly could find small RVs, cab-over campers, pop-ups in them. I have even witnessed an RV trying to navigate a 4x4 two-track trail, becoming hopelessly stuck and blocking our exit for hours until that individual took out a few overhanging tree limbs, damaging his RV and got out!

In the eastern United States camping seems more crowded than the western states. Generally in the west a good sized campground will have it's tent only section and then pop-ups, trailers and RVs are in the rest. But then again that isn't always so. It does take some research comparing places reading all the fine print just to see if what you choose to camp in is permissible where you would like to camp. There are not set rules. In Arizona and Utah for example there are vacant areas adjacent to some state parks that will allow or accommodate any thing a person may drive in, not have any fees or rules and no electricity either. I've seen tents, pop-ups, trailers and RVs there almost anytime during the summer camping season. Here's a suggestion to check out:

http://www.campvermont.com/html/welcome/w_civ.htm

http://www.visitnh.gov/where-to-stay/camping.aspx

http://www.campmaine.com/home.php

It's get frustrating at times, but hang in there, keep us informed with what you might find, thanks for joining CF and certainly over time other campateers from around your neck of the woods will certainly chime in. If you could also be more specific in the areas in these states that will narrow it down all the more. Common sense here suggests telephone calls, emails to the specific state park. And we too have made plans to go camping thinking it's a "tent site" and have found out that isn't what was meant. Sometimes "tent site" means tent only.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-21-2011, 09:40 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: New England camping questions (VT, NH, ME)

As aside, we too have also called campgrounds, national & state parks finding out when a campground would open in the summer because we knew there had been record snows over the winter. We called Lassen Volcanic NP last summer(early August) to check on a tent only section at Juniper Lake CG. We were told that the tent only section wouldn't open at all because of the snow and still chose to go and take our chances. Sometimes, that is what you have to do, because you really don't know until you get there. We were lucky, there were only five open campsites for vehicle trailers, first come first served and we got one of the best views of that lake. Great campout!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
      X