Camping Getysburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Getysburg

Has anyone done any camping around Gettysburg PA? We are a couple old cheap farts. Like state campgrounds, we don't care about swimming pools, clubhouse or movie stars just peace and quiet. I searched around and found Pine Grove Furnace State Park. I can't tell how far it is from Gettysburg. My other half would like to know what the bathrooms are like. If anyone has got any info, It will be appreciated.

Re: Camping Getysburg

I just found your post and hope this might be info. You might want. I don’t know when you want to camp in that area and will say most Pa. State Camping Parks are close by November. But just up the road from Gettysburg is Caledonia State Park. It is west of Gettysburg just off of U.S. Route 30. I think it is like 20 min. from Gettysburg. It has two parts to it and lower part that have a pool and an upper area that don’t but it is quitter in the upper area. The last time I was there they had bathrooms with Showers and a sink on the outside of the bath house to do dishes. Most of the tent Pads (areas) in the upper area are small and there is also parking areas for RV’s most of them are paved over. I hope this helps

Comment

I would like to also say that if you call the local State forest areas they can tell you if they have any disperse camping areas that you can camp at. They don’t have a bathroom or water but are free. Like up there where Caledonia State Park is at, is Part of Michaux State Forest and they have Disperse camping. It is free but you do have to get a hold of them and apply for a camping and fire permit. Like I said it is FREE they just like to keep an eye on who is camping where and if there is a fire ban than they will not let you have a fire, now the fire ban’s don’t apply to most of the state parks when they are in effect. I have no Idea Why.

Comment

I've camped at Pine Grove Furnace SP.

Bathrooms - awesome! the best I've seen in a mid-Atlantic state park. It was very recently remodeled. (On the other end of the spectrum is another PA state park: French Creek, which had the most disgusting bath house at a campground.)

Peace & Quiet - not sure about that ... The campground is basically a big open field, kind of shaped like a bowl, in a clearing in the woods. There is no greenery buffer between most of the sites. If you get a noisy group next to you, you won't have peace and quiet. Also, I found this a bit odd - since the campground area is bowl-shaped, the campers in the middle are slightly lower than you. So you're somewhat peering down on them at all times.

A note: I camped there in May and it was the first time I've ever seen a tick. I came back from a hike and my tent was covered with dozens of little "bugs". On closer inspection, I learned they were ticks. Be sure to use repellent.

Nearby spots: up the road is a corner store, locally very popular, that has great soft ice cream and a big variety of burgers, sandwiches, fries, etc.

Good points: easy to get to; lots of good hiking; in the summer, there's a lake; adjacent to Appalachian Trail so you can chat with thru-hikers.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Just booked a site at Pine Grove in June. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure we will enjoy the campground.

Comment

Working...
          X