help - assateague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - assateague

We are looking to travel down to Assateague for our first camping trip out that way. It is quite the haul for us and with two young children, we want to assure we are covering all of our bases.

I have researched the Assateague State Park as well as the Assateague National Park. I am leaning towards Assateague State Park - but mainly because I can already reserve our campsite. It seems that the National Park says you can reserve 6 months in advance, but I still cannot reserve for April? Any tips there? Do reservations not start till January?

So, with all that said, I am looking for your expertise - which campground do you prefer?
    I have read the bugs can get bad - are they not as bad on the sand dune loops at the State Park?
    Do we need any special parking permits? Anything I might be overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

By the way - I am leaning towards the State Park - Loop G - sites 13 or 17. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: help - assateague

Many state and National Parks do not have reservations during the late fall and winter months. Traffic is low enough that reservations are not necessary.

I don't do much camping in Maryland, but I wonder if Maryland has a mosquito problem in December? If so, I can only imagine how bad it must be in May!

Comment

Oh I am not looking to go this December, just trying to line up for spring.

Comment

Originally posted by theshirfam View Post
        Oh I am not looking to go this December, just trying to line up for spring.
        If you are thinking about camping in spring, there are two major considerations in the northern part of the USA like Maryland: Rain and mosquitoes. This is why many experienced campers skip spring camping. Early spring can be OK before the mosquitoes. Once the mosquitoes are in full force in spring, being outside with them has to be one of the closest thing to hell on earth. In wet places like northern Wisconsin, northern Minnesota, and Alaska, mosquitoes can be more than just a nuisance. They can overwhelm you and drive you to near madness. More than once, I jumped into icy lakes to escape swarms of biting mosquitoes. They can be frightening.

Call the park you are considering and ask them when the mosquitoes usually start to BITE (not just hatch - BITE).They can usually give you a pretty good idea. You can call before you go, too and see what the local mosquito situation is.

Comment

Wow, I guess I'm not an experienced camper, I've always camped once the snows were (mostly) gone in Spring, came from a swamp, I use DEET, and tents with screens. The ticks and chiggers were simply bonus insects. All kidding aside, the advice is much appreciated and taken with an open mind.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Concerning parking permits, once one has paid for the campsite and displays the receipt in the front window or on the front dashboard of their vehicle that is good enough for a valid parking permit. Each national park has different rules so upon entering and paying at their gate entrance it is a good idea to ask the ranger there. Some parks out west like Death Valley National Park in California do not have entrance gates but only a visitor center where upon arrival everyone is encouraged to go to get camping and info about that park. There are plenty of rangers there to answer every type of question so it's a good idea not to rely solely upon what another friend says in these forums!

The best advice I can give about reserving in a national park is to call them and ask them or send them an email. Each national park, depending on it's popularity has their own ways of allowing citizens to make reservations. Some websites are maintained while other less popular national parks aren't. It is best to ask them why one still isn't allowed to make a reservation when it is less than 6 months before they allow reservations to be made. Or watch the reservation's website like a hawk and be prepared to reserve a space when they allow it.
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help, looks like my first post was misunderstood. I meant first camping trip down south. Not first camping trip ever. We are quite experienced campers, in fact we usually only camp spring and late summer/fall, I prefer mosquitoes over dealing with "experienced campers". Once the campsites start to fill up for the summer season we retire our tents and dust them off once school is back in session. Guess we are just a different camping breed.

Good advice renodesertfox, I'll call the national park regarding reservations was just confused as to why it's within the 6 month timeframe yet I couldn't book. thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X