Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secluded tent camping within approx. 2 hours of Waterbury CT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secluded tent camping within approx. 2 hours of Waterbury CT?

Hi everyone,

A friend and I are planning a 2-night tent camping trip in early June and are trying to find a site that fits our needs. We'll be coming from the Waterbury, CT area and are hoping to drive less than 2 or so hours to get to the site. We are not at all interested in RV camping sites, sites with lots of people and children around, and unnecessary amenities like sports fields, organized activities, wifi, etc. Ideally we'd like to be in a secluded area away from other people but close-ish to safe running water, or at least be able to drive up fairly close to the site so we can haul water in as needed from the car. Nearby restrooms (pit-style is fine) would be nice, too, but they aren't necessary. I've done backcountry camping before and enjoyed it, but she hasn't, and since we are staying for two nights it would be nice not to have to haul all our water in in one go. It would also be nice to not be miles and miles from civilization in case something goes wrong. I am aware of several state forests/parks in New York state that offer backcountry camping, but (to my knowledge) no nearby safe water or bathrooms. I'm not clear on how close a car can be driven to any of them. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Secluded tent camping within approx. 2 hours of Waterbury CT?

We ended up going to Little Pond Campground in Andes, NY (in the Catskills.) Was more like a 3 hour drive, but definitely worth it. We rented one of their "primitive" walk-in sites on the lake, and other than one other pair of campers we were the only people there. I'd definitely recommend it from my experience, though I could see how it could get kind of lame if you reserved a drive-in site and all the sites were full (those ones are kind of close together.) The area is beautiful, though.

Comment

Re: Secluded tent camping within approx. 2 hours of Waterbury CT?

Pretty area, I fly fished up there.

Comment

Working...
      X