Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

successful camping trip in Yellow Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• successful camping trip in Yellow Stone?

I plan to visit Yellow Stone around July 20th alone.
    I wonder what critical skills do I need in order to complete this 4-5 days camping trip. I had experiences camping in Grand Canyon Camp site, but this time I really want to camp in some wild area for like one or two nights. I don't have enough time to attend camping class at school, I would appreciate your suggestions.
    Thank you !

Re: what survival skills do I need to have a successful camping trip in Yellow Stone?

Welcome.

Are you backpacking into a remote area?

Or are you camping in a designated campground and then doing day-hikes?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: what survival skills do I need to have a successful camping trip in Yellow Stone?

to realistic I think I will spend most of nights on campground but in case if I hike too far and couldn't get back before it gets dark I would rather just set up the tent beside the trail.
      I am watching TV episodes Man Vs Wild. Do you think it is really helpful?

Thanks again.

Comment

Just so you know I'm moving this thread to the "Where To Go" section of the forum. You'll be able to find it there in the "Rocky Mountain States" because that is where it belongs and you will get more answers from other great campateers than just me. I will leave a re-direction up for a week.

One of the most important things to remember is that in any national park within the confines of the continental United States, one may not camp remotely where they want to. The NPS is very strict about where a person camps away from organized campgrounds. If a person backpacks you have to secure a backcountry permit, have a route planned and camp where they instruct. Backcountry permits are free for the asking at any ranger headquarters.

If you are day-hiking you don't need a permit. If you stay out too long and lose daylight then you should make haste to return to your campsite or vehicle as quick as possible. Here is a short list of what you might need beside the basics of your day-pack:

1. Headlamp
        2. Bear spray(two large cans)
        3. Winter night weather gear
        4. Wool hat
        5. Wool gloves
        6. Flashlight
        7. knife
        8. Emergency blanket
        9. First-aid kit
        10. Water-purification tablets
        11. Licensed Handgun

That's just for starters, your day pack should include at least:
        1. Map
        2. Compass
        3. GPS Unit
        4. Food
        5. Water( at least 1 gallon of water per day)
        6. First-aid kit
        7. Extra socks
        8. Hat
        9. Hiking boots

That's just for starters too....other campateers will chime eventfully.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X