Question about shipping my gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about shipping my gear

I'm from upstate NY and looking to go camping in the Utah parks, but do not have the time to drive out there, so we'd be flying.

I'm wondering about shipping my basic gear out to meet me....is that crazy talk? It'd be the basics; tent and bag, and some of the other necessities, rather than buying all that stuff when I get there.

Has anybody done this, and if so, how did it work out? Does anyone have alternative suggestions?

Re: Question about shipping my gear

OH...this is a wonderful help! First to know this isn't a crazy idea, but all your suggestions around using the postal service and Hurricane, Utah for a pickup point. I too am planning to fly into Las Vegas...as you say, the fares and car rentals are cheaper, and because it's so close to Zion, the Hurricane pickup point would be ideal.

Good also to know about the fuel and batteries. I'd probably buy them local, as well as an ice chest and obviously food. Maybe some other cheap bulky/heavy things. It would of course be car camping....but it's so good to know that you have done this and it works.

I'm so glad I asked, and that you answered. Lucky me!

Comment

HS, excellent info! I made a document of it in my "Camping" archive folder. Thanks!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Great information, HS! Just curious though, would you recommend something like this as well if you're going to be camping outside the US, or better to just bring your basic stuff with you on the plane?
        Last edited by TroyS; 07-27-2012, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this excellent tutorial and brain starter, HogS!
          I rent cars to camp and have had problems ranging from car model switches by the company at the last moment to how long I can keep the car out.
          Really has impacted me a few times where I've lost camping days due to lack of wheels.
          During one car model switch I had to mail some items back to self but did it in such a hurry never looked into Parcel Post.
          Gonna re think things using your info for my end of August trip:cool:
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Zion is awesome but temps there this summer have been a bit extreme. 100 to 107 seems about the norm this summer! Been hot everywhere in Utah. Even here in North Ogden we have had temps over 100 for many weeks this year and a record number of wildfires too. Just sayin! Good luck! Seems HS has a good handle on the info concerning shipping gear. Well done!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

You are a gem HS! Thanks for all your suggestions....even the Walmart stop, and the Craigslist query. I would never have thought about using craigslist for a cooler!

@renodesertfox, I'm thinking late September, when I think the temps will be a bit cooler. Of course this year is 'different', and I will check the forecast.

Comment

If time prevails, Joyous, you might consider making a day trip out of Zion north towards Cedar Breaks National Monument. Elevation there is a little over 10,000' and the autumn colors start about the time you're thinking of Zion. Schools in Utah all start mid August so by the end of end of September, though still warm won't be like that of NY state. However there is plenty to do in Zion then and September is considered a dry month, the Virgin River that runs through there will be very low but still pleasant! One of the things that I like about the Walmart in Hurricane is that they always have a well stocked camping section. In Washington, UT there is a huge distributor center and just 20 miles west. Good luck!
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks Desert fox....right now I am struggling with the idea of making this trip on my own. I've started a thread on that. I don't know exactly why I think that camping on my own is something wierd....except that most people I know wouldn't do that, and would think it was wierd!

There are so many things I want to do in life, and waiting for someone to do them with seems like such a waste of time. I'm 55, and don't want to wait any more!

Comment

Thanks...again HS. I was wondering about the box thing...where I would get one sufficient, and shipping things back. You are way ahead of me....I would have flattened it out and put everything on top, without thinking about the load on it.

You are a wealth of information! If I had an iphone, there should be an app for you!

Comment

I've shipped my camp gear by UPS years ago. I bought a truck in a state about 1500 miles away, and wanted to camp a little while I was there. Only problem, I didnt have much lead time, and my gear didn't get there until I needed to be on the road back home. Be sure you send it in enough time to have it when you need it. I'd be sure it has a tracking number also. I could plan what I was doing with the tracking number, I at least had a clue where it was and when it may be in, even if it was slow getting there.

I've sent guns ahead also, both the time above, and going to Alaska several times. Its legal to send them from yourself, to yourself, in care of someone, but they are NOT allowed to open the package. Handguns have to be sent UPS unless you're a dealer. No postal service. You have to know someone on the other end to do that though to receive and hold the package.

Comment

Malamute, thanks for the shipping thoughts. My son is moving home and I've got a big work project due, so can't even think about this now. I've got isssues!

I'm still hoping to get to Utah in late October, so I appreciate the suggestions. Can't even thing about firearms at this point, so hope I don't need one.

Joyce

Comment

Working...
                        X