Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip out West.

Hi All,

As I posted in the other forum,my parents are planning a trip out west this Summer. We would like to go through Colorado and go toward the Grand Canyon before heading back home. Any campgrounds that are nice and also campgrounds that need to be avoided would be of great help.

Thanks,

Harry

Howdy Harry,
    Great place to see after you leave Colorado is Arches National Park near Moab, Utah. Then There is Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, then Lake Mead National Park near my home town of Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, and the South Rim itself. If you know the roads on which your travellin' that would be of great help here. So many places to see and great cgs to stay in it would take volumes just telling you the best places other campers have been but you might not run the roads that they know. More details, please!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I also forgot to mention is that I am a professional photographer as well.
      We will start in Mississippi. We will go through Arkansas,Missouri,and Kansas.to get to Colorado and the western states. We won't stop until we get to a state we have not seen. We really will not have a plan. Any campground recommendations good or bad would be appreciated. It would be nice to know which campgrounds to avoid.

Thanks for the help,

Harry

Comment

Howdy harryb,
        Well that's a tall order! What you might not like might be my cup of tea. When I was a full-time working pro-photog I only shot for profit. Now since I'm young and retired I shoot for grins and giggles. I can fill up an 8-GB memory card quite fast.

As far as your list of places has no highways or which roads you will be travelin' on, folks here could write books on great camping spots in great states like Alaska or California and then you never get that far. I suggest you'll probably have to do most of the work yourself. If you have a question on a specific cg maybe someone here on the boards might have some info. For eample, I've been to Arches National Park(eastern Utah) a few times and camped once at a pricey cg and another time at a primitive site. Both were crowded when we went, but around Moab, Utah there are at least 10 other cgs that I know nothing about, and you might choose one of them instead of where some one else camped. It'll be just wasted words. Nail down the basics of your trip, then if you have a question on a certain place, maybe somebody on the boards has been there, that'll be the easiest way to get the opinions you might be searching for.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We will be mostly on Interstate Highways unless we find something that grabs our interest. Then we will get off the beaten path. We will most likely find public campgrounds like State Parks or Corps campgrounds. My parents could care less about pools and hot tubs and most of the bells and whistles that some campgrounds offer.

Hope this helps,
          Harry

Comment

Camping in Colorado

HarryB,
            We are also returning to Colorado in June. We will be traveling from Louisiana, and heading back to Durango, Co. We stayed two years ago and loved it! Riverside camping at its best. Not far from Mesa Verde. Also a steam train trip into Silverton from durango, breathtaking!
            http://www.durangoriversideresort.com/ Good Luck.
            JeffT

Comment

Working...
            X