No announcement yet.

Heading to the Everglades in January...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to the Everglades in January...

Hello, my wife and I are heading to the Everglades this January (we're avid campers and love the ocean). This will be my first time to the Everglades, save for a quick drive through a few years ago. I'm planning on staying at the Flamingo campground, likely a walk to site but the pull ups are attractive too if we can get one with an ocean view.

I'm curious, for those who have been there before. Do you suggest reservations or is it likely that we can get a tent site on arrival (I notice they don't reserve specific spots). Also, if we do reserve a walk to spot, is it easy to switch to a drive to spot (same price).

My wife enjoys fishing...any places convenient to Flamingo where she can fish and crab without the need for a boat? (Preferably walking distance or within a 10 minute drive).

This next one may sound crazy...would you feel safe using an inflatable kayak in Florida Bay?! (if so, it could save some money over renting a canoe...I've used it in the salt marshes of GA but that's a bit different then the Everglades).

Last but not least, I understand that the hurricanes took out the lodge and restaurant a few years back, but that the café is open again. Is this correct?

Oh...any suggestions on places that might be a bit closer than driving back to Homestead/Florida City for provisions?

Sorry for so many questions....:o
    Craig
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Working...
X