Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent camping, no facilities, near hot springs in Souther CA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping, no facilities, near hot springs in Souther CA?

Hello, I'm interested in finding somewhere to camp that is close to hot springs in the Southern CA area. Anywhere within about 3-4 hours of LA is fine. I realize this part could be difficult, but I would also rather be off in the wilderness with no facilities and not in a campground you have to pay for. Ideally I would backpack in and be able to hike to hot springs as well. Any ideas?

Re: Tent camping, no facilities, near hot springs in Souther CA?

Joshua Tree National Park, Mojave National Desert Preserve, Kings Canyon National Park, Big Bear Lake, all within 2 hours of LA. Even Death Valley National Park. The closest to the Hot Springs I think you are referring to is either Joshua Tree NP or Anza Borega State Park. There is also the wilderness areas of San Jacinto and San Gorgonio and those peaks tower over 10,000'. Which hot springs are you referring to? There are hot springs near Death Valley, Joshua Tree NP, Mojave National Preserve, Kings Canyon National Park. There is even a hot springs in Calistoga, CA north or San Francisco as well as near Yosemite National Park too. And near Lassen Volcanic National Park also. Lassen is the most remote but it's 10 hour drive from LA!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-18-2011, 08:59 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thank you for your input. I'm not referring to any hot springs in particular, I was hoping people would have suggestions for me about specific ones that are close to LA! I know about all the park areas you mention, but don't know any specific grounds where one could backpack in, set up a tent, and also be able to hike to hot springs or even swimming holes. Any specific sweet spots appreciated!

Comment

Neither do I, most places charge a camping fee even if you backpack-in. Maybe someone else might know something....so.....good luck hope you stick around and let us know what you find out and where you go. We can all learn from one another.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I know the perfect place if you don't mind some nudists. There's a place in Apple Valley called Deep Creek. I loved going there but I never camped. The hike isn't too bad but it is steep. You can't camp right beside the hot spring and I can't remember what the distance was that you could camp.
          It's also located right beside the Pacific Coast Trail. Here's a link for directions. http://www.deepcreekvolunteers.com/directions.htm
          May you always have love to share,
          Health to spare
          And friends that care.

Comment

Working...
          X