Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo Bay, Lake Mead Nevada

Howdy,

Okay, I admit it, this is the 21st Century and I love to tent camp! Sure I live in Las Vegas, Nevada; the gaming capitol of the world, but I love to tent camp. And not to far from Las Vegas at a place called Echo Bay, just about 60 miles Northeast is a quiet out-of-the-way-not-very-crowded campground called Echo Bay. It's located along the North Shore Rd that skits the northwestern arm of Lake Mead.

Lake Mead is one of these western states largest lakes, 110 miles of shoreline. It is absolutely beautiful desert. Lake Mead was created by Hoover Dam which was built in 1936 to dam the waters of the mighty Colorado River. There are five basins that make up Lake Mead. Echo Bay is located in the northern Overton Arm Basin. Sure it's only 60 miles from Las Vegas, but like some well kept secret it's hardly crowded.

My wife and I also tandem kayak Lake Mead's gentle waters, exploring side coves and looking for wildlife and bald eagles that winter here. When it's cold someplace North, the temperature runs around 60 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and near freezing at night. If you're prepared it's one of the best tent camping places there is that is close to a major city, but far enough away that the only effect that you see at night is the glow from the city's distant lights! And you always hear the coyote's howl which is a warm comfort for those old timers that can call themselves a desert fox!

Echo Bay campground has two campgrounds an upper and lower and there isn't a separate place for just tenters. Sometimes you might have to camp next to some ugly RV and instead of the coyote's howl you'll hear the annoying hum of an electric generator! I once said to some RVer: " Hey, buddy, why don't you put that generator in your camper, because in a tent you can hear everything?" He replied: "Hell no, it makes too much noise!" I said: "Gee you are a thoughtful camper for the other guy, aren't you!" And he raised his hand to show me how many friends he had, and the next day we moved our tent. Other than that, Echo Bay is wonderful, a great getaway. One can camp for thirty days at a stretch, if you want. There are flush toilets, but no showers. The marina, sells ice and other necessities that one might need. The boat ramp is never crowded and if you want to gamble someplace because your itching to loose some change, it's just 60 mikes to Vegas! Showers can be found in truckstops in Las Vegas and then head back out to Echo Bay and enjoy the solitude!

And if you want one can rent a houseboat, or a motel room there also, but that is another story!
    Attached Files
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Brenton,

I have flown over that lake many times. Looks like great fun, at least from my window seat. :D
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

wow!! I have been reading the Southwest section and you have many great places to camp. Great pictures as usual
      John
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Working...
      X