Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Canyon, North Rim, Newbies, hiking suggestions, please

Hi guys,

We are newbies. I am Michael, 50ish, and did the boy scout thing oh so may years ago. My wife is younger than me (quite a bit), and came from a Thai village that toiled in the Thai jungle, so she is familiar with 'roughing it'.

We started camping about 6 weeks ago. We bought a tent and spent a nite at a Lake Mead National Park campground for one nite just to try out the tent. We live in Las Vegas, so Lake Mead was a no brainer. Next, we spent 3 days in Zion National Park. The camping went well. But we brought out dog, and, hence, we're SEVERELY limited as to what we could do for hikes. Namely, only one 'trail'. A paved one at that.

Okay. So next month we are doing 3 days on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We aready have a tent site reserved. We have almost everything we think we need, except knowledge of the area. What we are looking for is ideas/suggestions on what to do with our days. We are boarding our dog, so it will be just us. We want to spend our days doing comfortable day hikes. We will have the gear we think is necessary to spend the day hiking, so we are looking for specifics.

I have reviewed the Canyon websites, and we understand a hike to the bottom and back is probably beyond our capabilities, but surely there are other, easier, day trips to be made.

We are totally car campers. We want to base camp at the rim campground and do all our day trips from there. We have no intentions at this time of hiking out with gear enabling us to spend a nite away from our base camp.

We would appreciate any ideas you fine folks may have. We love the site, and have gotten much valuable information already. Thank you so much for everything. We can't wait to be able to contribute instead of just asking for help!

Michael and Ta

Re: Grand Canyon, North Rim, Newbies, hiking suggestions, please

Originally from the Vegas area myself,(Twin Lake Elementary, RO Gibson Middle School, Graduated Valley HS 1970) the north rim has always been a fun place to camp. Here are the day hikes that I know about and have done some. Welcome to the forum and we hope your stay with us is a long and continued camping journey!

North Rim Day Hikes:

Bright Angel Point Trail
    0.5 mi. / 0.8 km round-trip; 30 minutes approximate round-trip hiking time. A short walk on a paved trail to a spectacular view of the canyon. The trail begins at the log shelter in the parking area by the visitor center or at the corner of the back porch behind the lodge. Self-guiding nature trail pamphlets are available from a box along the trail.

Transept Trail
    3.0 mi. / 4.8 km round-trip; 1.5 hours approximate round-trip hiking time. Follows the canyon rim from Grand Canyon Lodge to the North Rim Campground.

Bridle Trail
    This trail follows the road as it connects the Grand Canyon Lodge with the North Kaibab Trailhead, a distance of 1.2 miles / 2 km one-way. Pets on leash and bicycles are permitted on this hard-packed trail.

North Kaibab Trail
    Distance and hiking times vary. This is the only maintained trail into the canyon from the North Rim. Even a short hike to Coconino Overlook (1.5 miles / 2.4 km round-trip) or Supai Tunnel (4 miles / 6.5 km round-trip) can give you an appreciation for the canyon's rich natural beauty and immense size. A hike to Roaring Springs and back is extremely strenuous and takes a full day (7-8 hours) - begin your hike before 7 a.m. Roaring Springs lies 3,050 feet / 930 m below the canyon rim and is 9.4 miles / 15 km round-trip. A day hike beyond Roaring Springs is not recommended. Many years of experience have shown that hikers who proceed beyond this point during the hottest parts of the day have a much greater probability of suffering from heat-related illness, injury, or death. This trail is also used by mules. NOTE: Round trip to the Colorado River is 28 miles / 45 km and trail descends almost 6,000 ft. / 1,800 m. Under no circumstances should you attempt to hike from the rim to the river and back in one day! Do not hike during the hottest part of the day.

Ken Patrick Trail
    10 mi. / 16 km one-way; 6 hours approximate one-way hiking time. Winds through the forest and along the rim from Point Imperial to the North Kaibab Trail parking area.

Uncle Jim Trail
    5.0 mi. / 8.0 km round-trip; 3 hours approximate round-trip hiking time. Winds through the forest to a point overlooking the canyon and the North Kaibab Trail switchbacks. Begins at the North Kaibab Trail parking lot. This trail is also used by mules.

Widforss Trail
    10 mi. / 16 km round-trip; 6 hours approximate round-trip hiking time. Blends forest and canyon scenery. Even a short walk can be very satisfying. Take the dirt road 1/4 mile/0.4 km south of Cape Royal Road for 1 mile / 1.6 km to the Widforss Trail parking area. Self-guiding trail brochure available at trailhead.

Arizona Trail
    The Arizona Trail is an ambitious project that traverses the length of Arizona from the Utah border to Mexico. A section of this trail enters the park near the North Entrance and roughly parallels the highway until it connects with the North Kaibab Trail, a distance of approximately 10 miles / 16 km.

Cape Royal Trail
    0.6 mi. / 1.0 km round-trip; 30 minutes approximate round-trip hiking time. An easy walk on a flat, paved trail providing views of the canyon, Angels Window, and the Colorado River. Markers along the trail interpret the area's natural history. Trail begins at the southeast side of the Cape Royal parking area.

Cliff Springs Trail
    1.0 mi. / 1.6 km round-trip; 1 hour approximate round-trip hiking time. Meanders down a forested ravine and ends where a chest-high boulder rests under a large overhang. The spring is on the cliff side of the boulder. Please do not drink the water as it may be contaminated. Trail begins directly across the road from a small pullout on a curve 0.3 miles / 0.5 km down the road from Cape Royal.

Cape Final Trail
    4.0 mi. / 6.4 km round-trip; 2 hours approximate round-trip hiking time. A 2-mile walk from dirt parking area to Cape Final. This trail offers a view of the canyon.

Roosevelt Point Trail
    0.2 mi. / 0.3 km round-trip; 20 minutes approximate round-trip hiking time. This trail is a short, secluded woodland loop with spectacular views. Offers benches for relaxed enjoyment of the canyon.

Point Imperial Trail
    4.0 mi. / 6.4 km round-trip; 2 hours approximate round-trip hiking time. This easy trail passes through areas burned by the 2000 Outlet Fire and ends at the north park boundary. From there connections are possible to the Nankoweap Trail and U.S. Forest Service roads.

I would suggest before you hike any trails, check with the rangers at the Lodge for trail closures. Enjoy, take plenty of photos and share them here upon your return. Enjoy!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-20-2012, 04:06 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks. Yah, the North Kalibab looks like the most scenic. We will definitely do a few miles of that one one day. It will be sad not to have the pup, but we will be able to do so much more.

Really looking forward to it. Got a few more items to buy and then I think we will be ready.

Michael

Comment

If you think that hiking down to the bottom to go camping is too difficult, you could always take a mule and stay the night at Phantom Ranch.

I have camped several times in the bottom of the Grand Canyon and have never packed a tent because it's desert. Yes, it could rain. I choose the dry season when I camp there.

The bottom is absolutely beautiful. The best advice is to listen to your body and do what is manageable. RenoDesertFox gave you some great tips on hiking the Grand Canyon. I bet he knows about Havasupai Canyon too. Often called the "Shangri-la of the Grand Canyon,"

Enjoy your camping adventures.
        Last edited by markkee; 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM.
        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
        sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, we cram everything into an '07 Honda Accord for now. Not gonna be doing any 4 wheeling for a while. We have our eyes on a Nissan Xterra, but not sure when we can pull the trigger on that.

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X